threads
Page 2 of 2
Ranger Engine \  2.3L fan in my 4.0 is this a problem???

2.3L fan in my 4.0 is this a problem???

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 3713
replies 16
following 6

blackranger93   +1y
Mine does that same thing he's talking bout at Idle my temp goes up pretty quickly then when I start to drive it it goes back to cool
lexaniranger   +1y
i have a little bit under 110,000 and no my check engine light isnt on... somebody i know was saying it could be the water pump is this likely??? but if i cant fix my problem i think im gonna raise my hood with some washers lol i think thats a great idea haha nah im jk i wouldnt do that if i had to lol but seriously thank you everyone soo much for helping me out
wht01ranger   +1y
if your pump is shot, the seal under the pump would break and you'll have coolant leaking all over the place from the pump itself....it may just be on its verge of going out, but if it was, it would be over heating overall, no matter what RPM the motor is turning, not just at idle

at idle, the fan clutch is suppose to engage to spin the fan to cool the motor, once you are up to speed, it will disengage, thats the purpose of the clutch in there...if it does not engage, then that means it'll typically heat up during idle

a bad thermostat will make a truck overheat also, but it'll make it overheat overall just like the waterpump will...if it goes bad, it'll overheat no matter what RPM or how fast you are going. thermostat can go out in 2 ways: not opening , or not closing. If the T-stat does not open, then thats when you will have overheating problems, if it does not close, then thats when it takes a bit longer for the truck to be at running temperature which does not hurt anything unless it is winter time because it'll take awhile for you to get heat.

your best bet is to check the fan clutch, if that is engaging, replace the T-stat, if that doesnt do it, replace the pump (but you will see if the pump goes out, because there will be coolant gushing out of the seal under the pump)
bodydropped85   +1y
not nessarliy bout the pump mark the bearing could be going out and it not cooling untill the motor spins it faster. the water pump on my 3.0 was leakin grease outa of the weep hole( lil hole in the neck of the pump)
wht01ranger   +1y
oh aight, yea thats right
lexaniranger   +1y
ok hey everyone i got an update on the situation i was takin my g/f home last night and my truck was starting to get really hot so i pulled off and popped my hood it turns out that there was a tiny hole in one of the hoses going to the engine when i popped my hood there was water and steam squirting out of the tiny hole not a lot of water but just a little bit but there was a lot of steam could this have been the problem or just one more among everything else???
baha   +1y
def could be a problem lol, replace that and add some coolant and see how your truck runs