ext cab on bags with a KL swap and a blower..... yuuuup

Mazda Projects
views 10833
replies 40
following 10

mymmeryloss   +1y
This is awesome! Glad to see progress!
mazdizzle   +1y
I had those same seats in my truck for a long time. I'm swapping the out for some mx6 gt seats this year
dealwithit   +1y
yes im being very slow about it... i have a whole shop and yard full of projects that keep coming and going, i wish i could focus on just one and make some actual progress lol. slowly but surely, at least its all clean inside stuff to do for now, just gotta get my tig setup and start practicing on some other cast stuff. the advantage of running that little 1.8L is i really dont have to care about it, i could ramp the timing and the rev limit, see how high she would hold together...

the K8 is only about 140hp stock, but theres not alot of reciprocating mass when you put 1.8L across 6 cyl's, an old chevy sprint had bigger cyl's haha.
mjavy7   +1y
First time reading this thread... you have my full attention.
I hope you can get something accomplished before you have to leave again.
I always wanted a Millenia S V6 (Miller cycle supercharged) swap but the tranny is what scared me off. I hope you can pull it off!!
I almost rather use domestic V6 RWD and make my tranny nightmare a easy reality but I am sure there will be other setbacks as well.
Best of luck, I will be standing by.
dealwithit   +1y
i have the means to modify my bell housing in my shop, and the last swap i mated 2 unfamiliar items (mercedes engine/mazda trans, custom flywheel and adapter plate) using the same method im gonna use here worked well, which included custom flywheel stuff where as this will be factory mazda parts for the most part, for all the rotating assembly which is the most important part. after seeing about 4 done in miatas with a more hokey looking setup of plates, flywheel spacers, and some home done starter mount that you have to cut out about 1/6th of the bellhousing for and those all held together fine im pretty sure my plan will work just perfectly the only rotating part i need to modify in the clutch area is the ring gear for the starter. the ring diameter for the K series engines is 290mm, while the rx7 flywheel used a 300mm ring gear, so if left at 290mm when you put the starter into the rx7 bellhousing they wont meet up. now i've seen 2 ways to solve this issue. one is to move the starter in 5mm to meet up with the 290mm ring gear. the second way is to machine down the 290mm ring gear to the same size as the rx7 flywheel and slip the rx7 300mm ring gear onto whats left on the KL ring gear and leave the starter in its original position. ill see what my machinist buddy wants to turn down the gear, or maybe ill try to make a mount on my lathe and turn it against a grinder, shouldnt be to hard really, the one guy did it with just a grinder, a vice, 2 rollers and some bar stock.
dealwithit   +1y
Im debating now if i should try and run a ford 6cyl edis controller, and control my coil on plug setup directly from that? as in wasted spark config, just firing 2 coils at a time. i ordered the newer 96+ style front damper with the 36-1 toothed wheel built into it, as the probes used a wasted spark ford edis system on them from the factory. i was just thinking it would keep the engine bay cleaner without a coil pack and spark leads, and if i can run an edis to control it then i dont need to add in all the extra FET's into the megasquirt.
dealwithit   +1y
not much to update, got my new damper with the 36-1 toothed ring on it. im thinking ill try to find a edis 6 setup now to run spark, then wont need the extra FET's in the MS box, i think its just a single one needed for the pulse to the control box. the sensor is already in the correct spot too. so not really any progress, i really need to get back to something truck related
dealwithit   +1y
im still around, no progress really, my damn shop keeps filling up with bike projects right after i clear a bunch out to make room. picked up a track car for drifting at the local tracks, an 89 325i, rough but welded diff and runs perfect. hopefully get out for some tire burning next weekend. im into the car for 500$, and its pretty much track ready, ill see how long i can stay with keeping it as a cheap beater .

i did on the other hand tho pick up a new lincoln mig pack 15 welder already setup on aluminum, which should make easy work of my bellhousing mods to run the KL/RX eng/trans combo.
nlsolja123   +1y
I built a mx3 with a kf. The motor was a screamer. If you hit up the junkyard. Loom over Mazda millenias some of them had the kl31 cams which is a higher lift stock cam. And a k8 flywheel is a lighter stocker.
nlsolja123   +1y
They sell an adapter plate to use the rx8/7 and miata bell housing.