Page 3 of 4
Mazda Projects \  ext cab on bags with a KL swap and a blower..... yuuuup

ext cab on bags with a KL swap and a blower..... yuuuup

Mazda Projects
views 10832
replies 40
following 10

dealwithit   +1y
this has been slow since the first post, this year ive been working overseas, no time to actually build anything, just plenty of money to stock up on parts for when this job ends and i have a few free months before getting back to the usual gig. first step to get the donor car running, and assess the engine, when i get home dec 2nd, then finish my honda, then dive into the truck.

Im thinking i might go for an 82 toyota 6 lug 4x4 rearend now, with 4.10 gears. super easy to find a locker for (or just weld it), narrower, and with the new engine rpm's wont be an issue, it would put me at 2900rpm at 70mph with the rx7 transmission, vs 2750 with the mazda 3.9 rearend. im pretty sure thats what the car cruises at, and with 8krpm on tap im not even in the power band yet at cruising speeds.
dealwithit   +1y
so i just scored a 95 mx3 with the k8de v6 for 200$, which ill just pull the engine from for mock up for the blower system plan down the road, harvest whatever else i need then scrap the rest. its an auto car so no spare flywheel or starter but oh well, i just wanted the engine and maybe the gas tank, im sure i can part enough and get some scrap cash that the engine turns out to be free. its also supposed to be in good running order, so a spare at least, even if it is only a 1.8L.

on another note i scored a 87 mx6 turbo, just need to do a regi search on it for the papers. its complete and in decent shape, not sure my plans for that one. home in 2 weeks almost
dealwithit   +1y
ill be home in 24hrs, got a few things to take of my list project wise before i dig into the truck, but i have the next 3 months pretty much clear so should be able to have it at least running by then. on a side note i recently aquired a 97 lincoln mark 8 4.6L dohc 32v v8 and all the trans and clutch parts to swap a 5spd onto it for about 800$ total.... i still really want the kl v6 to happen because its smaller, lighter, and screams to 8k, but.... this new motor is good for 300hp out of the gate..... ill just get it ready for a future project

oh and grabbed a new winter car, gonna bail out on the honda project. picked up a JDM 96 evo 4 gsr..... black on recaro interior, every option, some go fast goodies to about 300awhp. gonna be lots of fun

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
dealwithit   +1y
ok so i had to bring the mx3 back to my place, and its in pretty nasty shape, so i got to work pulling the engine out for my mock up engine (its only a 1.8L K8 v6, but same block dimensions). It came apart pretty easily, i just wish it was a standard car not an auto the blueish 626 runs decently, and the car is in really nice shape, its kind of a shame to tear it apart, just for a 250k 160hp klde engine. now im thinking i could sell the car and get a jdm KLZE with low km's for about the same cost, which the only hard parts i need from the manual car are the flywheel and the crank bolts, which i can probably aquire with a new engine.

so the engine is out, and the car went off to the crusher today.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
emjay   +1y
What a cute little v6 there Ken. That'd be awesome in a CRX or dune buggy.
I like the idea of the JDM motor, more power and less emissions. Wasn't there a high output version overseas with forged stuff too?
mymmeryloss   +1y
Umm ill take that mitsu please...
mymmeryloss   +1y
Oh and what were you doing overseas for work?
dealwithit   +1y
yes emjay, the KLZE is the jdm high output engine. i dont know if its forged but its factory 200hp, the KLDE is about 160 (10:1 cr vs 9.2:1 cr i believe and hotter cams, porting etc.). now i also just scored a 90's v6 probe with a blown engine (5spd car) so now i have all the clutch parts i need, and some sweet black power seats and other interior goodies from the probe, ill just sell off the 626 now, and hopefully order a jdm engine soon enough.

mymmery, that mitsu freaking moves man, its alot of fun. just waiting for a honda to challenge me hahaha, and for the snow to start falling
dealwithit   +1y
getting home from a vacation today, hopefully the 626 will be gone tomorrow, might trade it off for a 97 jetta, that'll probably be an easier sell as not many bites for a sale on the car. gotta get this probe torn apart quickly, i hate dead stuff in my yard that doesnt move under its own power. once the probe is apart and i have a flywheel setup to start working with i can get started on my adapter plate to the rx7 trans, using the k8 worst case or the 5cyl probe engine lol (dropped a rod out the bottom, it still ran, just had "a bad oil leak and a missfire" hahahahahaha
dealwithit   +1y
ok so the 626 is gone, i pulled the probe into the shop finally and stripped it down for some interior goodies, manual trans/clutch parts, and the blown engine for a mock up block (hollow it out minus the crank for easy moving it around). now for some more pics

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

i like these ones, the drivers is all power

thread post photo

and this is why this car came a gruesome death in my hands. the guy actually took this to his mechanic and said "its leaking oil really bad and has a miss to it, can you do a tune up?" lol, the piston stayed up in the cyl so the other 5 just kept doing their jobs.

thread post photo

and theres the parts ive been waiting for!

thread post photo

the standard trans bell housing. starter enters from the trans end like an rx7...

thread post photo

thread post photo

ill just slip this on there and see if anyone notices...

thats a NA rx7 fc trans, the same box portion as what comes in a b2200 normally, ive actually put 2 of these into my B's in the past. the bell ring is almost a perfect match in diameter, im debating a cut and swap off the last 1-2" of the bells, or just cut off the bolt ears and move them around

thread post photo

the dowels are whats holding it apart, ill pull them out when i get the engine mounted vertically to start making my custom bellhousing

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

them my phone died while i was still disassembling. now i have 2 options here for transmissions. i have the type 2 box (the small NA box) which would probably end up being the easier swap, or the type 3 box (the turbo/b2600i style). now the smaller box would be nice as i can just use my truck tail housing, factory driveshaft, crossmember, shifter location, etc. Now i beat the snot out of my f2t truck for a full 3 months and never really had a problem with the trans that wasnt already there (from what i can remember anyways). This should be fine while im running an NA KL (might even be a K8 at first, just use the engine from the mx3), but once i lay the boost to it i might find a weak point. i think ill just go with the smaller box for now, im sure it wont be to bad to do the bell, and i can always find another manual KL bell down the road and adapt the type 3 box as well