Page 1 of 4
Mazda Projects \  ext cab on bags with a KL swap and a blower..... yuuuup

ext cab on bags with a KL swap and a blower..... yuuuup

Mazda Projects
views 10823
replies 40
following 10

dealwithit   +1y
ok so ive built a few B's in the past, with several build threads over on mazdatruckin (an f2t swap, and probably more notably the 5cyl benz diesel in the b2600i), but this time around im hoping to try something new in the engine department, a mazda KL-DE 2.5L v6, and with a m90 blower (from a early 90's t bird) right on top of it. blower whine, 8k rpm and bottom end to boot, not looking to set any records, if I make 220hp to the wheels ill be pretty stoked. ok onto the truck...

what im starting with for this build is an 86? i think b2200, its already on bags, but kinda half assed. the front mounts looked ok i think but the rear is just a notch with bags on mono leafs, which i guess works for the stock dying motor but i need something able to support frying some tires... because what fun is it if she cant do that at will lol. i already have a new generic 4 link kit (for the price i couldnt build my own setup), and the rest of the parts in the truck will work fine for me. its already got some nice escalade 17" 7 spokes, full 4x4 sheet metal, no rust, clean papers, ranger head lights, yota bumper, shaved doors with hard lined button openers, a plastic fuel cell, some reversed indented hood (im sure ill need to switch to a b2600i hood or even add a bigger bump to accomodate the new motor and whats going to be sitting on top of it lol ) and a few other things.

Now i was originally planning to just drop in a carbed 5.0L/5spd from an 84 mustang, but that was just the easy way to get it done, i dont think i would really be happy with a carbed setup, maybe if i lived somewhere where the weather was hot for more of the year a carbed v8 would be fine, but im also alot more familiar with efi systems (megasquirt, etc) than i am with tuning a carb. Also that v8 weight in the front, even if on bags didnt really appeal that much, i already have an 88 5.0L gt convertable as my summer car anyways.

So as far as parts ive been collecting for my build ive aquired,
a brand new all aluminum dual core "racing" rad for a ford explorer (haha yes i just using racing and explorer in the same line)
the new 4 link kit
a 9 switch bag controller with electronic inputs (incase i feel the need to wire my valves to my alarm system)
a complete stock grey interior (the truck came gutted but the parts are all burgundy)
a tach cluster (just came with the speedo only cluster)
a complete 94 mazda 626, with the KL-DE engine and 5 speed trans (gonna need the trans for the bellhousing, gonna be a cut and shut jobbie), to donate the motor, electronics, and anything else i require to make it work
a 130 amp ford 3g alt for all my power needs
my buddy is parting out a 93 Si civic, with the power sunroof, hes gonna chop the roof out for me to hopefully put in, always wanted a B with a proper power roof
an m90 supercharger off a 90's thunderbird, gonna be plenty of fab to get that on but im stoked for this combo
a megasquirt 2 v3 kit (also have a v3.57 already built unit on the bench as well i aquired afterwards) along with the lc-1 wideband to make sure shes running right
2 front accord power window regulators (should be alot easier than my last power window install)
2 rx7 transmissions, one small style, one turbo style (both have inside issues, i think one is saveable tho), to use for my custom bellhousing/better and hopefully stronger trans
a pair of new trailer fenders

first think on my list will be getting the engine mated up a to a rwd trans, after building my own adapter plate for the benz to mazda conversion i did a few years ago, which worked flawlessly, i dont think itll be much of an issue to chop both, align it and tig it back together in my shop. once thats together and functional, ill see how the blower is going to fit on, and what ill need to fabricate as far as an intake goes, i think the injector placement will be the hardest part of that, while trying to keep the engine from being too tall (i want to keep it all under the hood). going with a cut bellhousing will also allow me to run a flywheel specifically for the K series engine, and not having a spacer behind it (how most of the miata swaps are done, adapter plate and flywheel spacer) is just another piece of mind when spinning it to 8000rpm. ill be ditching the distributor and going to coil packs, that will be fired by the megasquirt in wasted spark conifiguration. this wont be intercooled as itll be directly feeding the engine, but i might ad in a meth system if the heat is to much, im thinking no more than 10 psi, probably even less than that, should hopefully get to my number without to much risk to the insides. for the exhaust im thinking a simple aftermarket header/exhaust set that ill have to mod to make work in the rwd platform, debating now on weather to Y pipe to a single, X pipe to a double, or straight out of each side with no cross over pipe (but all with mufflers of course, gotta keep it from getting too annoying right?

As far as the rest of the truck goes, get all the wiring and plumbing sorted out, hopefully i can find a b2600i 2wd rearend, driveshaft, and trans (i recently let one slip off to the crusher before i remembered what trans was in it ffs!) to mount up with an rx7 lsd before the 4 link goes in, mounting up shocks and sway bars (would like it to handle abit, not worried about side to side with the bags much), put the stock interior back in ( maybe a few small custom touches but nothing major in there), figure out a grill (my buddy is a bodyman and a painter) ill see what he has for an idea there, something that will work with the ranger headlights, or maybe some rounds behind a phantom style grill? also get the sunroof welded in and fit (assuming its gonna work with the roof profile etc), change out or modify the hood (if it needs it), the box has kind of been butchered on the inside because at some point someone stuck 20's on the truck and chopped it up till they fit with no other regards :l so that will need some sheetmetal work (same under the hood). For mirrors im thinking the older mx6/626 units, simple and clean.

Now im thinking a satin black for a final color, but thats still up in the air, this is going to be a long build lol, i work out of town alot, especially right now, building in a large gold mine in the south africa region, 7 weeks at a time. i do have a couple pics of the truck as she sits right now, its abit of a basket case but ive been here before with one, and this time i have my own shop with no real timeline in front of me for pressure to rush something

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
mymmeryloss   +1y
I'll be watching this one!
daeman   +1y
Hell yes a kl powered b series will be awesome. Been mulling the idea over myself for quite a while. Here's a few links to some kl swaps that has a ton of usefull info.

Good luck.
dealwithit   +1y
thanks daeman, ive actually been reading that miata multi build thread for the last few days gathering all the pictures and info i can from it, lots of good material. the more i think about it the more im pissed for letting that b2600i just go off to the crusher, i could have grabbed it for scrap cost, it was just rusty and the engine was probably dead, but it had the 5spd, and the better rearend. still trying to find another K engine/trans so i have something for mockup as this is going to be alot of fabrication going on around it.
dangersoulylow   +1y
nice can;t wait to see progress pics
dealwithit   +1y
ok heres my donor car, a 93 626 5spd. its actually in pretty nice shape, ill see what to grab from the interior before im done with it.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
dangersoulylow   +1y
good steal!
dealwithit   +1y
and heres some shots of the lucky blower thats going to be sitting on top of the KL...

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

i also ordered an exhaust setup for the KL, which im sure ill be chopping up and modifying to fit, might get lucky that the headers will clear the motor mounts, have only seen this engine in smaller cars with tiny engine bays.
dangersoulylow   +1y
nice
dealwithit   +1y
ok so ive aquired a few more items for my swap first off, ive been considering my ingition options and ended up getting 6 cbr 1000 coil units (coil on plug), 2 cbr coil harness' and 6 nissan prw-2 single ignitors to run them. ill have to run them as wasted spark still but no big plug leads on the motor should look pretty sweet, hopefully it should be easy enough to setup, and provide a better system than the stock distributor. second, i ordered a stage 3 clutch and pressure plate, its a 6 puck with a sprung center, hopefully not to much racecar but enough to hold in every gear under boost, being its only a b2200 size disc (225mm). Its claimed to be good for 380hp and 350lbft so im sure ill be plenty fine. i get home in 12 days, cant wait to get started mating up my engine/trans