threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Turbo manifold for 2.2L.....thoughts???

Turbo manifold for 2.2L.....thoughts???

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1369
replies 8
following 6

low_life77   +1y
Has anyone seen, read about, or used one of these manifolds for their turbo build??? I found this picture on google and it takes me to this website called dragtimes.com I'm just curious if they hold up and have stronger welds than the ones you find on ebay? I'm going to be boosting soon but want another option (manifold wise) so I don't have to use a stock MX6 manifold making the turbo be right next to the block not to mention it's ugly. I know I can build my own but I lack in SS welding and don't have the tools to do it. I'm trying to find a manifold that will get the turbo up and visible but is durable. Any input or thoughts on this manifold and it's quality would be great. Thanks guys.

post photo
Post was last edited on May 20, 2014 07:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
low_life77   +1y
Or is there anyone on here willing to build something close to this for me? I suppose it doesn't have to be stainless, I'm just looking for something that's more attractive and durable. And again thanks guys!

Chance
getnpsi   +1y
Some of the most beautiful work that is local to me is wrapped to keep the heat in to spool a huge piece. just sayin'.

that specific manifold...does it place the turbo right on the brake system? that's no fun either.
dan woodland   +1y
This might help...

You have to be careful with the exhaust manifold... I hear you must have a custom job made to miss the braking master and steering column with the turbo.

Dan
low_life77   +1y

Yeah can see what you are saying, so I went out and measured the clearance and I have about 11 inches from the exhaust side of the head to the brake booster. The manifold is a "log style" manifold so it is very short tubes but with the turbo attachment coming up and pointing out straight to the brake booster it would be very close depending on the size of turbo I use. It has a T3 flange but I guess a guy could cut out the bent part and re-weld it making the turbo bold directly above it.

I don't know...I'm just trying to come up with something different and strong I want the turbo cold side facing the front and the exhaust side facing back like it should. I suppose I could have one built from scratch but I would imagine it would be pretty costly. AngusWilly seems to be the turbo guru, he uses the manifold from ebay which is really the same but with the top mount right above the tubes. But he said it is weak and he needed to re-weld it and brace it to make it stronger. I guess either way I will have to do a little fab work haha.

Chance
b52fighter   +1y
You can use this one, its off of a 626, and itll bolt right up, its what im currently running. I had to have the flange cut off and flipped so I could run the turbo top-mount and so the intake and exhaust sides were facing the right way, otherwise if I tried it with it on the bottom side and tried facing it with exhaust to the back, and intake to the front the turbo would hit the side of the block, and if I had it backwards exhaust facing forward, and intake to firewall it would have been a pain to run exhaust and an intake tube for the air filter, and the oik drain since the 2200 has a boss thats cast in the block that you can drill and tap
post photo
post photo
b52fighter   +1y
If youd like I can get some more pictures
anguswilly   +1y
The first manifold you posted was the early version that is made by the same people and every single one broke so they quit making it.

The newer version works fine if you flip it over but the ENTIRE manifold needs all the welds redone properly - if you are interested I can do this for you, my manifold is made like that and it has been good.

The VERY important step is making brackets to brace the weight of the turbo.
fdugn545   +1y

What would u charge for this? I'm pretty interested and a have a friend doing a f2t swap who would like one done as well...

Let me know.

Fred
Page 1 of 1