threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  catless exhaust?

catless exhaust?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 911
replies 6
following 4

jennija   +1y
Hey guys! First day on the form, long time member over on mazdatruckin, on my second be series, currently a 1991 b2600i 4x4 cab plus and perviously owned a 1990 b2200. well my muffler finally went capoot and fell off....I need a new exhaust asap and was wondering if anyone has gone catless?? I just don' t want to have any issues, Im going to be buying new piping from the manifold back and a cherry bomb. thanks for any help!
mjavy7   +1y
This is what I used to roll back in the days with my fist 2 b2's.
Never had a problem in fact I went to a shop and they welded the bottom shield (off and old cat) to my straight pipe so the inspection people would place the mirror under the truck it would look like I had a cat when I really did not. I always passed without any problems, this was back in 1999-2001. Now here in Florida we have no more testing .
jennija   +1y
thanks for the response! this is great news as a poor college student, I can sell the cat and use the cash for the new muffler think it'l be too crazy loud with a cherry bomb? cuz right now it sounds horrible I hate it
Cusser   +1y
If your local area doesn't have testing, no real issue. But not sure if a legitimate mechanic can bypass converters, might be a federal regulation.

Anyway, my own B2200 with Weber has hollowed out converters, so they behave as connector pipes.
jennija   +1y
cusser! someone I recognize haha ok sweet off it comes then. thanks!
spacemonkee23   +1y
I have a "test pipe" on mine. In cali I have to pass crazy strict smog tests. I built a small section of pipe that is the same length as my cat and welded the heat shields to it so it even looks like a cat. Granted, I still have to swap the actual one back in every two years to pass the sniffer. It only takes but 20 min to swap out so its not a big deal. It is a hell of a lot louder with the test pipe in there though.

I would recommend doing the test pipe thing if you have emissions testing in your area. If you don't then ditch it and run straight pipe to the "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!"
Cusser   +1y

A few years ago, someone stole the catalytic converter off my '98 Frontier, just unbolted it in my driveway at night (he left me the four nuts). I bought about $12 in parts at AutoZone and made a bypass test pipe while I figured out what to do. I ended yp buying a real bolt-in replacement converter from Eastern Catalytic (or something), and Ebay retailer, was about $130 but I did have to call to ensure it was the exact bolt-on, which I did get. So I bolted that on.

I now keep that bypass in its cross-bed toolbox; I think I should've just run it with that test pipe installed though (no check engine light, no difference in driveability).
Page 1 of 1