threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Lsd from miata?

Lsd from miata?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3835
replies 12
following 4

blowered4life   +1y
Ive been doing some research into putting a lsd into my truck and think i have found out that a lsd out of a miata will fit into our trucks. I say this because i read where people with 85 rx7s were putting miata lsd's into the 3rd members of their rx7s with no issues. If im correct a 85 rx7 lsd will fit into our trucks, so why couldn't we put in a miata lsd instead. If this is possible, a new obx miata lsd is $300-400 and readily available. a miata, rx7 and our trucks are all the medium size diffs. The difference being our trucks have a 7.5" ring gear and rx7s and miatas have 7" ring gears but should be interchangeable. All three are 26 spline also as ive read. anyone have any other info?
anguswilly   +1y
I do think that the early miata LSD unit itself can fit, although you will run into the same issues that I have had installing the RX-7 FD unit in to the B2600 2WD rear end, and that is there is no center pin in the torsen type.

The older diffs are 7 or 7.5 and the newer ones are 8"
blowered4life   +1y
I think the obx is heliacol. I dont know much about the types of lsd's and im trying to learn more about them. I just want to get rid of the one wheel peels without welding the spyder gears
sincitylocal   +1y
The helical is the same thing as the "TorSen"... short for "Torque-Sensing."
blowered4life   +1y
How would you mount a lsd if there isnt a center pin? Im new to limited slip differentials but i do know how to fabricate parts if needed
jc50942   +1y
is is a 1 way 1.5 way or two way lsd that you are trying to put in?
blowered4life   +1y
Ill have to look when i get home im at work.
blowered4life   +1y
would this work? As in unbolt the carriers swap the ring gear with the b2200 and put back into b2200 3rd member?
anguswilly   +1y
So the torsen or helical does not have a center pin because the center pin is that the spider gears are mounted to and it has none.

The pin also serves to provide the preload spacing for the outer axle bearings - so if you do not have the pin, you need to make a spacer and/or weld shims to the axle ends.

If I were to do it - and I have in my last 2 B2200's - I would get a B2600 2WD rear axle and install a RX-7 FD LSD unit, they can be had for about the price of an OBX which are hit and miss (it's a crap shoot, you could get a bad on or a good one)

The 7" rear ends are really weak and I have seen many in stock trucks get broken, so adding LSD will not really be good since you'll spend $$ and could still break it. The B2600/Rx-7 setup was good for over 400WHP in my last truck over 5 years.
anguswilly   +1y

Well, NO.

You can most likely use the LSD unit itself (I haven't tired) But that is a vicious LSD which are basically crap.

The diff uses a viscous liquid to provide the LSD action and that quickly were out - making it nothing more than a complicated open diff.

The best diff for street is the torsen hands down - I have one in my Gs400, my BMW and my pickup and they are great - a couple little tricks to them but great - no noise, no chatter, no special fluids - nothing. Now if you are purely drifting (no street at all) I always prefer a welded diff.