threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Gas Mileage.

Gas Mileage.

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 858
replies 7
following 4

5150mikey   +1y
I was wondering what was normal Gas mileage? If I'm doing the math right I'm getting like 12.2 I hardly let it idle to warm up very much. What can I do to get better mileage. It is bone stock drivetrain wise.
dan woodland   +1y
Normal range is about 20-25mpg - automatic to manual.

If you are getting 12mpg you either need a tune-up or change your driving habits - go easy on the throttle and shift shorter.

If neither of those help then maybe you need a carb adjustment/rebuild or it's a clogged CAT?

PS. You didn't tell how many miles or if it's a manual etc etc...
5150mikey   +1y
From full to empty was 141 miles. Manual. And I may run it high in the gears there is ice every where here in Alaska. But I only did it a couple of times. Also I have smaller tires on it when going 30 it's really only 25. Also the truck sat for the last ten years. I have cleaned the gas tank and replaced all of the fuel parts.
dan woodland   +1y
Extreme cold temps will affect MPG a lot, I assume you let her idle to warm up and leave it running from time to time to fight off the cold? That will greatly affect your MPG.

Smaller than stock tires will affect your Odometer reading which in turn will affect your MPG calculations.

Dan

PS Is 5150 from Van Halen or the Police code?

5150mikey   +1y
Well I discovered it was 2 qts low on oil. Filled it up. And filled up with premium which is only 90 up here. I'm attempting to drive easier to see if that was it. No I do not let it idle every time. It's normally warm before I get to work. If I let it idle til it was warm every time I drove it 3/4 of a tank would go to idling.

Police code!!!
befarrer   +1y
Do you at least let it warm up enough for the choke to turn off? Or are you driving around with the choke still on for a bit untill it opens? Also, does your choke open automatically?
mazdatweaker_2   +1y

Install a block heater for one.

On a good day, you might get 25 mpg if the carb feedback system is working and the outside temperature is above 70.

Fuel mileage goes in the toilet when its cold.
5150mikey   +1y

Ok Thank you. Hopefully it gets better this summer.
Page 1 of 1