Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  New here, looking to clean up my engine bay

New here, looking to clean up my engine bay

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 849
replies 8
following 5

stu   +1y
Hello, like I said I'm new here, I bought my first Mazda about 10 days ago, did the headgasket, drop spindles, turned the t bars down, drop blocks and shocks, it rides like ass but it sure is fun.

Now I'm looking to clean up my engine bay, I've searched around a little but I can't find any writeups.. I'd like to remove my vac canister on the passenger side, the egr system, o2 and cat. Now for the exhaust side.. would it just be easier to get a header? and what about my 02? I assume I can't just unplug it.. I'd like to roll with the stock carb for a wile and I'll go to a 32/36 later... also the one plug and vac line on the bottom of the air cleaner housing, I assume there sensors, but I'd like to do away with the big air cleaner when I delete the egr..

I know what I'm asking is very broad haha, but like i said I'm new to this, any links to threads, advice tips, no how would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
dan woodland   +1y
If you remove all that stuff before a weber swap and keep the stock carb it will run like crap.

Most guys use a weber conversion and pacesetter header to clean up the engine bay and possibly improve mileage and pickup. There are other carb options too, some even do a "junk yard" EFI swapgrade.

You can lose all the vacuum lines but two (vacuum advance and trans line if automatic) and all but the blue and black wires coming through the firewall on the passenger side when you do the swap - those are for the wipers. Search here or on MazdaTrucking.com for threads on the weber swap and pacesetter upgrade. There are also several Kia engine/EFI swaps to read.

Welcome to the Bscene.

Oh, and pictures are a must, we are all picture whores!

Dan
emjay   +1y
Here is a good HowTo thread

Hope this helps!
stu   +1y
Dan, thanks for the info, I would have made the mistake! would it be ok to run the header before the weber, or would I run into problems with the 02? And I'll remeber that about the pictures, I'll post one of how she sits now

And emjay, thanks a bunch, that will come in handy when I stop being cheap and spend the cash on the weber kit!
emjay   +1y
Stock setup requires an o2 sensor, but you can put a bung on the header. Its a good idea to have one anyways for tuning purposes
fdugn545   +1y
The pacesetter header comes with a o2 bung in the flange piece.

Fred

Welcome to the sickness called mini truckin.
stu   +1y
Thanks both of you, that was my next question.

A pacesetter and a weber kit is just under $400 at my favorite parts store (ebay) I'll be ordering them soon and I'll post pictures when I'm done!
mymmeryloss   +1y
Good stuff! Wheres the pics?
stu   +1y
Haha I got so far as an album on my profile but I'll figure it out soon!
Page 1 of 1