threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Trying to get some power... Questions.

Trying to get some power... Questions.

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4504
replies 6
following 5

87lilmaz5885   +1y
Ok so I been reading a lot of threads on here about the fe2 fe2t and the fe3 engine. If I am understanding this right the only difference between the fe2 and fe2t is the turbo. The fe3 is a 2.0 with a 12 valve head and is suppose to be able to bolt right onto the fe2 block but the intake and exhaust manifolds are different. If I am wrong at any point someone please correct me I am looking into building a spare engine with more hp while I'm still running my truck. Now my plans for this engine are to bore it .20 over run ROSS/Wiseco Forged Pistons. Now I have a 87 Mazda b2000 with the 2.2 carb engine. If I was to put a fe3 head on it would I be able to somehow get a weber carb to work on it or would I have to go and try to make my truck a FI?... Thanks
mazdafvr   +1y
you cant put a fe3 head on a 2.0 block. coolant and oil passages don't line up. fe3 is a dual over head cam, ours is single. the motor how ever will bolt to our tranni and mounts and other accessories run by the motor. u can put a 12 valve head from a f2t on it (ford probe) with mods. our motor in our trucks is the only motor that comes with the 8 valve head. the fe motor and f2 motor are somewhat compatible. the block is the same, the heads are a little different but will work. the dizzy would be pointed toward the fire wall so u would have to cut it or get an msd ignition tipe deal or something. the fe3 motor, even tho is the same pretty much, has different coolant passages and what not. this makes putting a kia head (fe3 head) on a f2 block impossible. the difference in the f2 and f2t is the head, and turbo. the head is a 12 valve. the fe3 is a 2.0 block with a 16 valve head.
mazdafvr   +1y
oh and if u go with a fe-3 motor, don't put a weber on it. I don't even know if u can, but u would need the ecu harness and all the sensors for the motor. not as hard as it sounds. and the fe-3 alone adds about 50 or 60 hp. if im not mistaking. and u can turbo it.
dvsdev   +1y
Why not be different, rebuild your motor as it is, use a F2 and forge it with strong internals, lap the valves, flow the head, twin side draught webers, custom plenum and a blow through turbo setup.
I've seen plenty of SOHC turbo motors running before, even the Mitsi Starion Turbo is SOHC from factory, just run low boost and you should be fine.
Or a supercharger could also be used, one of those side mounted ones like Toyota use.
87lilmaz5885   +1y
Ok thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it... so not sure what direction I want to go for a engine build. Just one more question... I am leaning towards doing the fe3...but is it possible to put the f2t head on my 2.2 without having to fuel inject mine or with putting the f2t head on I wouldn't be to keep mine carbed?.. thanks guys answering this question will be the determining factor for the build I do.
fdugn545   +1y
I contemplated attempting a carbed 12 valve f2t head and realized that it's not worth the time spent fabing a custom intake mani and also the distributor faces the wrong way so you'd have to notch the firewall to get it to fit. Honestly if u plan on staying carbed just do like said above and try to run a blow thru turbo setup. If I were you I would get a Ford probe turbo exhaust mani (they bolt to our blocks no problem.) and then make an adapter plate for a holley 350cfm carb. Then get such carb and have it set up to accept boost. Then have your head ported and see about a cam. Retard your timing and pick u up a nice low boost turbo. I researched a bunch on blow thru setups. Also for more info hit up theturboforums.com those dudes know their shit when it comes to boost. And on putting a carb on a fe3 I wouldn't even know where to start. Not worth the time/money IMHO.

Sorry this shit was really rambling my bad guys I'm tired.

Fred

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
anguswilly   +1y
I have had a turbo 2.2 many years ago and it was great. I am currently doing a turbo setup on my stock motor.

New solid lifter head (brand new head because I wanted the solid lifters and because when I bought it, a spark plug was seized in the head).

- ARP head studs

- Fel pro head gasket

- Stock bottom end

- T28 turbo, non intercooled

- 3" downpipe and exhaust.

I'll run about 5psi and it'll probably match or beat the FE3 power but have more torque and it was way cheaper, faster and easier to build (took me 2 days to do the turbo setup.

I say if your motor isn't broken then turbo it, they have pretty low compression and are pretty bulletproof (beefy rods and iron solid deck block)

for less money and hassle you will have more power than an FE3

You can research the FE3 swap but you'll need a Kia motor, then some kind of electronics and wiring to run it - you will most likely need all the KIA wiring or a standalone. If you carb it, it'll suck bad.
Page 1 of 1