threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Another Weber Question.....

Another Weber Question.....

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1616
replies 11
following 5

burtandurny101   +1y
So, my truck runs great once it is warmed up; i am not sure i have the e-choke wired up correctly.

the stock carb (83 b2k non ac/ps) had 2 wires going too it; one is yellow with i think a green stripe and the other is dark gray/black with a beige stripe....i think, i am gonna go double check those colors in a sec......

But anyway, looking at some stock set ups at the wrecking yard yesterday made me realize that the wire i have *hangin out* is the one with a round plug-type connection and the wire that is pluged into the choke is the one with the clip; on stock setups i think it is the one i have hanging out that powers the choke..............

Should i swap em and see? will i run the risk of frying it?

Or should i unplug the wire i got, see if it makes any type of difference, and then try the other wire?
fdugn545   +1y
The yellow wire is the wire u need to hook to your choke. It's the one coming from the alt (u should be able to follow it to the alt.) other than that idk what the other wire does. I know that my truck runs a Lil rough till warm (but it did that before weber swapping as well)

Hope this helps,

Fred

Paycheck to paycheck minitrucker
thread post photo
bagged dually   +1y
Not trying to hi jack your thread here man but I have a similar issue that the answer to might help you also.
Someone has completely cut the wiring on my truck that goes to the choke. I've heard I'm supposed to run a wire from the Alt directly to the choke tab. Is that correct?? If that's true how does the alternator know when to shut the choke down or is that just a power supply for the choke??

The carb is a Weber 32/36 DGAV
cab+rider   +1y
@ Bagged Dually the alternator powers up the choke wire when the ignition key is on start/run position. Provided the male terminal is showing on the rear of the alternator. If your B was carburetor type and the alternator wasn't upgraded from stock it should a simple set up.
bagged dually   +1y
So basically the alternator to choke connection is just to give the choke a steady source of 12 volt when the engine is running?? Is that about right?? So if that's right just any wire powered on when the key is in the run position would work.
There is still a wire plugged into the back of my alternator that runs into the main harness but I'm not sure where it goes after that. Someone has butchered the wiring on my truck when they did the body drop.
The wire coming off of the alternator right now has the factory plastic end still on it plugged into the back but the wire is red. I can't tell for sure if there is any stripe or anything on it but its for sure red. I don't think that's the factory color is it?
Cusser   +1y
That alternator plug delivers about 7 VDC to the choke.
fdugn545   +1y
Here's a pic of the plug and wire for the choke
thread post photo

Paycheck to paycheck minitrucker
thread post photo
bagged dually   +1y
That single wire if is the one I'm talking about I have that doesn't go to anything but the wire on mine is red for some reason. I ran it down just a little while ago and ran it to the choke. It seems to be working ok. I'm going to try and adjust it in the morning when the engine is completely cold. I think it's working right although I never got a high idle. I can loosen and spin the choke housing and move the butterflies open or closed.
burtandurny101   +1y
I think i found the problem with my choke,

The yellow wire that should be connected to the alternator is infact clipped onto the topside of the oil filter...........

BUT!!!

where does it plug into? I replaced the alt a while ago, one slot looks like it would fit a plug but wont.
bagged dually   +1y

I'm not 100% on this so you might do some research but I have heard that certain alternators don't have provisions for the choke wire. I can't for the life of me remember if it was newer alternators or older ones or which one didn't have the provisions and maybe I'm wrong but I'm about 99% sure I've heard that somewhere.
Are you sure the wire you found isn't for the temp sensor or something?? If I remember correctly there is a single wire going to a sensor right next to my oil filter also.