Mazda Engine Performance \  radiator upgrade options

radiator upgrade options

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3638
replies 4
following 3

rotary84   +1y
Hi guys,

I was wondering what everyone has been using for upgraded radiators. My radiator developed a leak and decided to search around for either a performance, or one possibly from another car that takes in heat better and is a direct swap (rx7, ford cars, 626/323?????). Let me know.
Cusser   +1y
Is yours a rotary truck like your name implies?

For the B2000/B2200, a common upgrade when replacing a radiator is to install an all-metal 2-row radiator (meant to be used with an automatic transmission B-truck) and just not hook up the two tubes for the ATF.

Mine's 2-row all-aluminum, purchased through O-Reillys; last time I looked the photo showed a brass/copper one, but photo was wrong.
rotary84   +1y
No the truck is not rotary powered. Just a long bed se-5. So the automatic radiators im guessing are a bit larger
Cusser   +1y

The radiators designated for the automatics are 2-row instead of 1-row. Physically they are the same size: look at the rear of your existing 1-row radiator on its rear, center, bottom, there's like empty space (I bet Earl has a photo). The 2-row has that space filled in with more cooling fins/slats. These mount into the same mounting holes on the truck, no issues.

I first had a brass/copper 2-row which was 100% compatible, lifetime warranty. When a weld leaked on that, the warranty replacement was an all-aluminum radiator, which required me to drill new mounting holes in its brackets for the fan shroud mounting. One just ignores the inlet/outlets at the bottom of the 2-row, which was designed for ATF fluid cooling.

The 2-row radiators sell for maybe $10 more. But your question was about which upgraded radiators most of us use. I believe Dan in Ohio, Greg, Axel, and others are using the 2-row.

Fan shroud overlaid on the Murray 2-row aluminum radiator purchased through O'Reillys. Red arrows show Murray shroud mounting holes. Blue arrows show where I drilled my own 1/4 inch holes, so I can use 6.0mm x 1.0mm bolts/nuts.
thread post photo
89mazdalade   +1y
ebay this is the one i bought works great!!

:
Page 1 of 1