threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  sun pro temp sensor too big... which one do you use?

sun pro temp sensor too big... which one do you use?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1729
replies 11
following 4

matt88brewer   +1y
i got an oil press and engine temp sensor from autozone. just a run of the mill sun pro set. well oil pressure shouldnt be an issue but the plug that threads into our thermostats is too big? anybody else runnning aftermarket temp gauge...what brand is adaptable to this
Cusser   +1y
Call SunPro and see if there's an adapter available. Or check VDO for an adapter, they make gauges too.

You basically need to know the thread size for the stock sending unit and the thread size for the SunPro sender.

Or just leave the stock sending unit in as a plug and tap into the coolant path elsewhere whee one of the other senders had been.
matt88brewer   +1y
can i thread it into the intake mani? where the green plug is?
matt88brewer   +1y
i recant. there is a plug directly next to that green one and it looks identical in size. i think it should be fine in the manifold.anyone see any issues with it being there..
thread post photo
Cusser   +1y
I think that should be fine. When one has a gauge (oil pressure, coolant temperature, etc.), what you're really looking for is something that changes from the norm.

Like 3 weeks ago when Mrs. Cusser noticed the coolant temperature gauge on her 2005 Yukon reading significantly higher than ever (she's had it two years). I found that Mr. Water Pump was leaking a little, was down 3/4 of its coolant supply. Since she parks on gravel, there was no physical sign of leakage, and the leak was small, figure it took at least a few weeks to get down to that level where the gauge read high.

But let me say this: without Mrs. Cusser noticing this higher gauge reading (I rarely drive the Yukon, maybe 6 times a year), we would've severely damaged/lost the engine. So I rewarded her. Several times.
Cusser   +1y
Your EGR block off plate and hardware store throttle return spring look like mine. It looks like you were smarter than me and included an "ear" with a hole for the spring in your block off plate, I'll do that if I ever make another one.
matt88brewer   +1y
Lol.cool. and yea the plate is ever so custom. Haha. But the spring came brand new with my weber .im hooking this gauge up tonight. Whats normal idle temp for. This engine. Its bored .30 over
matt88brewer   +1y
Update.the kit came with a nifty brass adapter bushing and it went right in . No leaks no issues. Working as it should.
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
matt im diggin the mazda tailgate stamp in the firewall