threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Rotary b2200???

Rotary b2200???

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5507
replies 13
following 10

alpha   +1y
anyone know what type of rotary engine will bolt up to stock 1989 b2200 engine mounts? and the stock auto trans???
richard93   +1y
I have been doing a lot of research on this cause I need a block it is saying a 88 to 92 626,mx6 and ford probe blocks are the same as a 87 to 93 2200
91extcab   +1y
The kia sportage (95-99, I believe), is the same block as well. A rotary will not just be a direct bolt in... It will require a fair amount of modification, and they are temperamental, so if you know nothing about rotary motors, or have never owned own, I suggest steering clear of them. You'll get in over your head. Protoge's are another possible option besides the ones you listed above, but if you plan to use one of those motors, I suggest doing a full swap instead of just using a block.
alpha   +1y
modify engine mount, got...will it bolt to my automatic trans though?
gilligansdingy   +1y

No.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Ah i got all excited for nothin...
jimbeater   +1y
swapping belhousings may do the trick, i'm not exactly sure though. some use the rx7 trannys in the b2200s with stock/f2t/fe3 engines. switching the tail stock as well i recall hearing.
bigwills12ab2000ny   +1y
i have a 12a in my truck its running a solid i-beam front engine mount and as far as the tranny its a stock b2000 running a custom input shaft and an rx7 bellhousing
91extcab   +1y
That's also a first gen carb'd rotary. I've heard about using the 7 bell housing, but if you Use the rx7 clutch plate and flywheel instead of the b2200 clutch set you wouldn't need a custom input shaft... If I remember right they should be the same diameter and spline count as the b2200... Atleast for the second gen motors.
bigwills12ab2000ny   +1y
I'm not sure about the spline count and diameter but I'm pretty sure its the length of the shaft that differs..but also he's talking about dropping in a rotary with an auto tranny so I'm not sure how that compares to the 5 speed at far as mounting and input shaft wise because of the converter etc..if I were too do another rotary swap whetther it be a 10a 12a or 13b id probably just get a turbo II tranny but I understand that that might be out of budget or he might now want to do the modifications to convert it to manual so its up to him