Page 1 of 3
Mazda Engine Performance \  Mazda B2600i Supercharger *Info Needed*

Mazda B2600i Supercharger *Info Needed*

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 10514
replies 24
following 8

deahlsc   +1y
Alright so I always get these ideas and stuff in my head and a few days I ago I got tired of dreaming. I went and purchased an Eaton M90 w/ charge pipe and TB off of a Ford Supercoupe on Ebay. $300 wasn't too bad for all that and in working condition, amirite?

The mocking up, and pulley system we can figure out, but the fuel injection we're not sure what we planned will work. I was planning on a 255 high-performance pump w/ a fuel pressure regulator and a rising rate regulator. I'm shooting for a final goal of 5 PSI out of this charger. This isn't going to be a high-performance build or anything, I just want to gain knowledge and experience in this field, and what better way of doing this?

So my questions are, will raising the fuel pressure throw the EFI off in any way? Does anyone know of anyone else whos supercharged this motor so I can take a look at their build? The guy who's helping me used to do old high-performance dodge turbo cars. Things have probably changed a little bit since then I'd imagine.

PS - I am getting a wideband o2 so I could tune using the regulators.

Thanks!
emjay   +1y
I would worry less about increasing fuel pressure. I'd worry more about the amount of fuel. Back when Dealwithit did his F2T build, he used a Walboro high flow pump on a homemade EFI system. He used the factory fuel pressure regulator.

You'll probably need bigger injectors as well, heck it wouldn't hurt. The only other thing is that your computer is going to be out of whack, as it is used to NA conditions. My best guess is that you'll need to get it chipped somehow. Talking from my Honda experiences, when a Civic or Accord gets turboed, the computer gets reprogrammed for the boost conditions.
deahlsc   +1y
Well, our first thought was injectors! Seeing as how unpopular this motor is, how do you suppose on obtaining these injectors? I can't find a single thing on this fuel injection, so maybe somebody with a lot of experience tuning these things can step in?

I thought about doing something like Megasquirt because it isn't all that expensive but there are no write-ups that I can find on these trucks, and I don't or anyone that I know of has the kind of smarts to figure a whole fuel injection method out by ourselves. We realize the computer is used to the NA conditions, but we're hoping since I'm not running much boost and the linear power of the supercharger it might be able to keep up somehow.

I ultimately realize I'll probably end up going to a standalone like Megasquirt though. If there is any way at all anyone knows how to get these things tuned and chipped without hacking the whole EFI apart I'd be much obliged!

**Also thanks for the reply!**
mymmeryloss   +1y
Any aftermarket injectors will work but u will have to weld in new bungs...

A 255 walbro will be sufficient and standalone or atleast a piggy back and a tune are a necessity!

Ill be checking in on this one...
emjay   +1y
Building and tuning a Megasquirt would be about the same between an EFI Mazda, converting a Mercedes CIS to EFI, or changing out a system in a Yugo. The only thing different would be the hardware on the motor itself. A wideband for such would be very helpful, arguably a necessity. Tons of info out there that cover such. Running boost though in a NA setup (especially one that has a vacuum sensor) would just be begging for trouble, regardless how much or little you are using.

There should be several injectors that you could pull off of other JY donors, you might just need to take the wiring bungs from them in case the ones you pick out don't use the same ones. I took injectors from a twin cam Acura for my Civic, they wire up and fit in the same. You just need to find something with a higher flow rate. Maybe one from another vehicle with a 2.6 G6 motor that was turboed? I think that they came in the Dodge Conquest? I forget exactly what the other cars that used the same motor were.

Another thing that you would need would be a check valve for the vacuum booster.
jenko   +1y
Alrighty, superchargers.
You're mostly Americans here so you should ALL BE SUPERCHARGING EVERYTHING!
So DeahlSC you are my new site hero!!!!!!!!!!

Wideband = yes.
A/M stand alone computer = yes. (MS would be cheapest option)
You can either keep your existing spark or get the MS to do it as well, you might as well get the MS to do it, it's an upgrade and you'll have the computer to do it.
You have a TPS on your tb? That'd be nice.
Map sensor is part of the MS unit = win.
Performance fuel pump = yes, good idea.
Have a search for "swappable" injectors, being mitzi/mazda (not sure which engine you have) it'll either have evo/starion/rx7 injectors which may swap out with your std ones. (440 rx7 comes to mind but I'm probably wrong)
May need a trigger wheel (can't think of your outputs for crank/cam set up ATM)

SUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a large one for a 2.6 though?
If it is.... SUPERSUPERCHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excitement.
jenko   +1y

hey looki! 440cc right there! lol. happy browsing mate
deahlsc   +1y
Wow, didn't expect this to get so much attention lol.

I honestly didn't know how the EFI on these things worked whether it was a speed density (vacuum) set up like my Ford or MAF. Since it's speed density I don't see any way of correcting so standalone MS it is. I like tinkering so if I can find a decent write-up on the average installation of one of these things, I can probably figure out for the most part the tuning.

The Mazda G6 motor I think was only available in Mazda cars. That Dodge had the Mitsubishi version of this 2.6L IIRC.

Yes, this is a large supercharger for this motor. Eaton M90 came off of the Ford 3.8 Supercoupe V6s. GM had their own version of it (Not sure what cars they were on). It's made for 3L - 5L displacements but it'll easily fill my needs for this motor haha.

Does anyone see a problem running standalone in this thing? Shouldn't be a tranny to control, and I'm not sure anything else relies on the stock EFI. And I wasn't going to run much boost before knowing we were just half-assing the fuel system, but if I'm going to run standalone I might as well do 8-10 PSI w/ the supercoupes intercooler. That would be fine for 210whp wouldn't it?

Thanks again everybody!!

Oh, it might be helpful if y'all know what truck I have. It's a '91 Mazda B2600i 2WD, 5-Speed. These Mazda G6 motors have head problems don't they? Anyone know what specifically is the problem (think it has something to do with valves?).
tucknrimmaz   +1y
The head prob is the cooling jackets. they are too thin and they crack very easily. They are soo bad that the aftermarket have jumped in. AMC makes a new head casting thats bullet proof. It is a must if you are running a modded 2.6
deahlsc   +1y
Thanks! Do they have a website, or other supplier through which I can look at the heads?

After the head problems resolved, I'm guessing the other factors that are going to keep boost down is the cast pistons? rods?

This isn't something I'm jumping into right now. I'm gaining information so that when I do get all these parts, I don't jump into this not knowing what I am doing. I'd figure on a year before I feel confident enough to start on this project. I am heading up to a friends in a few months to get the bracket, and pulley system worked out on this thing though!

Also, if I go and get a new head, I might as well get head studs right? What about a higher rev cam, with dual spring lifters for the valves? (Geez, this is turning into an expensive endeavor lol) Pay me now, or pay me later as they say....