threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  1992 b2200 points to electronic ignition??

1992 b2200 points to electronic ignition??

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9517
replies 16
following 9

kream8y   +1y
Hey guys, I have a 1992 Mazda b2200/Ford Courier and was wondering if anyone has converted their points to electronic ignition?
Cant seem to find anything,

Any help much appreciated
Cheers
axel breaker earl   +1y
Hmmm, looks like your in NZ.......all of our 1986-1993 B2200 trucks are electronic ignition......no points type!
Do you have a picture of yours you can post? I would think the front dist. housing would be the same as yours.......maybe you can swap in a dist. like the ones we use here?

Here's a photo of what ours in the states looks like.

thread post photo

thread post photo
kream8y   +1y
Wow sounds like you guys got it better!

Heres some pictures of my crappy points, heard that Mazda bongo and Econovan (NZ) electronic ignition go in and maybe the 626, 929 but not sure if its the whole distrubtor shaft assembly or just the internal components

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Does it look similar to yours? Maybe I could import one
mazda-man   +1y
I wish our headlights looked like that.....
Cusser   +1y
What's the problem with points, my old VW has them, work fine. Just use a dwell meter to check or set them, then tweak/check the timing.

Unfortunately, I think you'd need more than just one of our distributors...but I don't know...
sincitylocal   +1y
If you're willing to pay cost+shipping, I'll go to the boneyard and get what you want.
kream8y   +1y
Headlights are off the Ford Courier, and the grill is the Mazda b2200.. I just hacked up the grill a bit to suit the lights so its almost like the Ranger swap you guys do

Points are extremely un reliable.. they require constant attention, they arch together and wear out so the engine isnt always perfoarming the best.. sure they are mint when you just replace them but give it half a month and they are wearing out slowing..
Electronic ignition will mean I will have the best 100% spark all the time and I could run a bigger coil and get more realibility out of the engine without constant maintance.

Why would I need more than just one of the distrubitors?

Bone yard? Like pick a part over here? Second hand parts? Would rather buy new I think
kream8y   +1y
Also, not the newest picture, roll bar is now off and got a tailgate and the trim, badges ect are gone and getting funds to be shaved but:

thread post photo
Cusser   +1y

Geez, I've had points in my 1970 VW since I got it in 1972, and similar with my 1971 VW that I got in 1976. So just when are these going to become unreliable???
kream8y   +1y
They already have. You do know that points like to arch together over time, when the gap opens spark still likes to jump leaving a dip on one plate and a point on the other. They generally wear out alot qiucker and you always have to set the gap and adjust them, annoying..
They do the job but do limit the engines potential.

If they were so good electronic ignition would have never been used.