Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Muffler replacement B26i 1991 158,000miles

Muffler replacement B26i 1991 158,000miles

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 864
replies 6
following 6

momwillfixit   +1y
The muffler is rotting, yes rotting from the inside out. Husband thinks he can replace it while home on vacation. Give me some input please. He has never (as far as I know) put a muffler on any vehicle ever.

Please give me some input.
baha   +1y
It's really not hard but we don't know his tools/skill level. I don't know of any bolt on mufflers for that Model/Year but if he has a welder I'm sure he could put on a new one in an hr.
gcncsuhd   +1y

Walker offers direct replacement bolt on stock mufflers, but if the muffler is that rusted out, likely the flanges and surrounding tubing aren't much better. Replacing the muffler generally isn't a difficult task, even with a universal slip on muffler, just cut the old one out, slip the new one on and weld or clamp it down. You may need to add additional tubing if the new one is shorter. Welding is the best, but if he only has hand tools clamping will suffice. You may also need to do something about the hangers with a replacement muffler.
mark2.0   +1y
Just had one replaced. Paid $120 at a local muffler shop for muffle and tail pipe. Guy putting it on rung the bolts off of the flange that connected the pipe to the catalytic converter. Had to saw the flange off and then weld the converter to the pipe, then custom welding the hangers where they needed to be. Well worth the $30-$40 in labor to have this guy do it, especially after those old bolts rung off. If you have the cash, pay the professional to do it, if you can get one at a reasonable price that is.
Cusser   +1y
It depends on the rust, in the area you live. In Arizona, I had no trouble getting all my exhaust pieces apart readily with wrenches on my 1988 B2200.

However, I did spray with PB Blaster in advance.

EDIT: if ordering a new muffler (brands are Walker and Bosal) note that Cab Plus and regular cab likely are different size mufflers (I'd also measure length of existing one).
momwillfixit   +1y
Thanks everyone, keep the help coming, I will pass on all the advice.
87forever   +1y
Idk I always have had a shop do my exhaust stuff.Not that I cannot but,when I had my whole system done front to rear all bent nice,new cat/muffler total was 425.00 and that is cheap here.Plus warranty had this done in 2011.I would at least call a few shops to see the cost being if said (handy mech) never has done may make this more costly and timely.Just a thought and calling for quotes is free.Plus a good weld to seal it and mount solid is long lasting.Just my take
Page 1 of 1