threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Need a tune up - Where do I start?

Need a tune up - Where do I start?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 915
replies 7
following 4

mark2.0   +1y
Ok, let me hear it from the Mazda professionals: I want to tune up my 1990 B2200 with high quality performance parts but I don't really want to do anything crazy expensive at this point. Just good quality plug wires, really good plugs, and any other parts that need to be replaced that you would recommend to make my truck's overall performance a little better and smoother.

The truck only has 79k miles, and it appears to have never been through a tune up. What do you recommend?
Cusser   +1y
Add new air filter, new fuel filter. I'm still running the original spark wires on my '88 B2200; I had purchased aftermarket wires about 2005 when I had a hard-to-trace intermittent issue, but they cracked within a year, so I went back to the original factory set from my garage box.

Also, if you don't KNOW that the timing belt has been changed, this would be a great time to do that. Some like to also change out the water pump while "in there" as a precaution, but I've only replaced my WP when it leaked.

Don't forget the non-engine stuff too. Drain and re-fill the gear oil in the transmission and differential.
mark2.0   +1y
Better brand of plugs? One plug boast (and actually provide) better gas mileage? Opinion of national parts store chain over another? Just wanting some opinions.

But thanks cusser for the info. Just changed the transmission oil when I did the clutch. Differential is on my list. Any grease fitting on the truck that you are aware of? I think there are, or at least I think my first one had some. And the water pump, what brand is better or at least a really reliable brand? Used to do mechanic work with my dad, but that was 18 years ago and I'm a little rusty.
Cusser   +1y
The only grease fittings on mine are the ones I added, to the upper control arms (already threaded, 6mm, used angled zerks) and to some aftermarket ball joints and tie rod ends. I can't remember if the drive shaft has unreachable zerks are none at all (think it's none at all).

I used a CarQuest water pump on my B2200, and a Gates timing belt. The original water pump lasted about 118K miles, and the one my mechanic put in (maybe NAPA) lasted 60K miles, both started leaking, that's the sign. So I installed the CarQuest one myself a year ago, took about 2.5 hours on a Sunday morning, and I had never done a timing belt before on any vehicle.

That gave me a lot of confidence for my Oct. 2011 rebuild, which went smoothly.
jenko   +1y
Weber!!!!
Or if it's injected save your pennies for a turbo
Or for now have your injectors cleaned.
ulrich   +1y

Yup, none at all. Though if the U-joint has been replaced it may have zerks.
jenko   +1y
ooh, flush the coolant and check your thermostat too.
Nothing like running at the right temp
Cusser   +1y

Yep, do that every two years. And check the belts and hoses; if bad, replace with decent ones like Gates, Goodyear Gatorback, Dayco... keep your old ones for on-road spares.
Page 1 of 1