threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Performance \  Stock fuel injection swap?

Stock fuel injection swap?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2022
replies 7
following 5

pjsbird   +1y
hey guys! i currently have a b2200 with a weber, but i have a parts truck that is fuel injected. is it a straight forward swap? can i just bolt everything in from the injected truck?

can i use just the engine harness or do i need to swap the dash harness as well?

anything else i need to consider for this swap? thanks in advance!
rg2200   +1y
I'm sure I'm missing a few items but, you'll need to swap over from the EFI truck:
fuel tank with fuel pump and sender unit (EFI fuel tank has a baffle in it - carb tank would work, but the EFI one is better
airbox
MAF
intake tubing
intake manifold
evap canister and fuel lines and vac lines to it (I think there's some wiring that goes to it as well)
replace fuel line from tank to engine bay (stock carb'd fuel line won't take the pressure). Return line should be ok.
ECU
pretty much the ENTIRE wiring harness (which loops through the dash, so the dash needs to come out)
I would use the exhaust manifold from the EFI truck, then you don't have the PAIR tube stuff to deal with
throttle cable
emjay   +1y
Sounds about right RG
1hotdawg   +1y
There is a thread on here about OEM EFI swap. You'll have to search. I think it was by Madlowmazda, but I'm old and my memory is failing.
pjsbird   +1y
As far as the tank and fuel lines/sender and pump, I'm running a fuel cell with all new fuel lines, aftermarket electric pump, and a fuel pressure regulator already. Should this be ok?
pjsbird   +1y
Also the truck has a pace setter header. Will that be ok with the new setup?
rg2200   +1y
The Fuel pressure regulator - is it adjustable? The EFI system will need a lot more pressure than the carb did, probably at least 40 PSI. The stock EFI systems are a return flow setup where the fuel pump pumps the fuel to the fuel rail and any left over pressure/flow just flows back the return line and to the tank, as a result, an FPR isn't required. This helps cool the fuel pump by having the fuel flow through it. So, I'd think that you wouldn't want to keep the FPR.

Re the fuel lines - are they fuel injection lines or just new regular lines? There's a big difference, as the regular (non fuel injection) lines aren't designed for the pressure. Also, be sure that the elec fuel pump is putting out enough PSI for the EFI system. I'm not sure but some pumps that work for a carb might not put out enough for the EFI setup.

The pacesetter will be fine - my son converted his B2200 from Carb to fuel injection using megasquirt (not using the stock ECU, but building his own ECU from a kit), and he had a pacesetter on there. I'm not certain if the O2 sensor from the carb'd truck will work with the EFI ECU - probably since I think both are just narrowband O2 sensors, and IIRC even the EFI one isn't heated (I think it's only a 2 wire, but you'll be able to tell from the wiring harness.) Since you have the whole EFI truck, you probably should just move the O2 sensor over with the rest of the stuff.

Oh yeah, something fairly big that I forget is the distributor, the igniter and coil. I think in theory that you could get the carb'd coil to work, but you're much better off with the EFI system's igniter (driver's side fender) and coil. Plus, you will definitely need the EFI distributor. The carb is a vacuum advanced and the EFI is not, plus I'm pretty sure that the ignition module is totally different, since the EFI Dist has a Hall effect sensor in it.

By the way, MadlowMazda has done TONS of EFI conversions, and he's a great resource. I know he had a good detailed thread on the MazdaTruckin site, but with that site down right now that won't help you much.
jenko   +1y
Anyone have a picture of the baffles?
Parts people over here are drop dead useless, especially when they say "yeah yeah, we have it, no you can't come and see it we only deliver"...... should have known better.
They have been served. I've given them a week or I'm coming over pointy tail and all! lol.
So if I could get a picture of what I'm talking about that'd help.
They've scavenged through HEAPS of tanks and the pump won't fit.
(i wanted tank and pump... not carby tank and random pump you tools! LIKE I ASKED FOR!)
I finally got a hold of one on the phone busy apologizing and used 1000 words to paint a picture... but incase I mumbled a picture would be fantastic.
Dear Cusser......
Page 1 of 1