Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Turbo on a B2200

Turbo on a B2200

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 8765
replies 10
following 8

winslow33   +1y
For starters lets just say ive never messed with turbo's before so i apologize if im asking a dumb question(s), lol.

If one wanted to put a turbo on a carb'ed b2200, what would be the easiest setup to pull off? I was thinking a Ford Probe as they share the same block with our trucks... So I guess in short, where do I start? Can I do it with the stock carb, or is it best to switch to a webber?
dropped90(justin)   +1y
Neither the stock carb or stock weber is going to handle a turbo. they cant withstand the boosted pressure running through them. You have to modify them to do so.

-Justin
winslow33   +1y
What'd be the easiest way to adapt a turbo then?
crypticcourier   +1y
im looking to do the same with the ford 2.3 motor in my 81 courier. I'm a nub also with the blow through carb turbo. I googled it and found alot of info. Looks like the holly 500 carb is the one to use, with needed modification. I dont think the 2.2 mazda would handle turbo very well. I have the mazda 2.0 in my courier, but im going to use the ford 2.3 because it was built to handle turbo setups. Do the research before you blow up your engine. Theres a legit answer for ya.
glockgts   +1y
don't mess with a blow threw carb. If your going to turbo do it right and convert to fuel injection. You will have a more stable and reliable truck with boosted fuel injection. The carb thing "works" but its not going to give the best tune for that motor.
rg2200   +1y
Too bad the MazdaTruckin.com website is down, as there was a very detailed 2.2 Turbo build (by the user dealwithit) on there. He stepped through a lot of details and had a lot of pictures.

Here's a link to the wayback machine (which has snapshots of the entire Internet at various times), and specifically to this thread. Not all the pages work etc., but you might be able to get some good info there.
jenko   +1y
Sorry buddy, I agree with everyone else, it is best to switch to fuel injection
If you're looking to pull parts from another vehicle try to grab an entire turbo set up if you can find one, all the hard work has been done then
Or.. build a "draw through" supercharger and laugh at us all... but don't forget to add the pictures of the build and you laughing
jmuse8482   +1y
I have already done this....And yes EFI is the way to go...You can do it fairly cheap with a carb if you do a draw though setup with a properly jetted carb and (NO) intercooler. I have only done this on a aircooled VW and it works ok.There is about a dozen or more photos in my album. If you have any questions Feel free to ask.
slamsonthedawgmaster   +1y
there also is the option of a turbo 626 2.0L the only real problem is dist clearance but i know i've seen someone on bscene do the swap.. its efi but the electronics should be a fairly simple conversion and fuel system would also be easy
jmuse8482   +1y
If you went through all the trouble as i did to put a 12v head and keep the firewall intact , EFI, Turbo (From T-Bird) and Megasquirt and 7.5psi (215 hp ish), here is what you can roughly expect....... 13.8 - 14.5 (ISH) quarter mile times... For example : 14.5 at best is about what a STOCK 98 model mustang gt 5 speed runs..... You'll be faster than that "depending" your build and driving skills. And if your not careful (clutch dumping, gear banging!) the stock B2200 Box does not like this....ESPECIALLY IN REVERSE.... Not to mention adding roughly 130hp on top of your WHOPPING 85hp.....A NEW factory clutch "WILL" slip so that's gotta go.... If not right away give it time....The only Boxes that i am aware of that can take the ridiculous Torque #s (350lbs+) that the Turbo 12v 2.2 can produce is the H Type FWD (MX6 GT/Probe GT), and the G6 (B2600). It gets pricey and there is allot involved. Horsepower VS Cost Effectiveness : 12 valve head swap, intake+weber/ EFI, header, exhaust... Even with all that, the Kia FE-DOHC swap is cheaper and faster....And your reliable still...