Page 1 of 2
Mazda Adjustable Suspension \  Hi, new to B trucks, Q about front suspension

Hi, new to B trucks, Q about front suspension

Mazda Adjustable Suspension Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2746
replies 14
following 4

greg5oh   +1y
Picked me up a 91 b2200, i payed way too much for it but i wanted one asap (1 grand, needs floors, rockers, roll pan, mechanically good shape, sort of). Eitherway i love the truck, new project since ive wrapped up the latest phase of my fox notch and need something to get diry with. and i LOVE the fuel savings, 16L/100 of high octane fuel in the stang was getting real old.
first off-heres some pics

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

now my ultimate question. to get air ride in the front of my buddies b22, he took off torsion bars, cut off the bumpstops and made 9" long brackets, welded onto the frame, and trimmed the inner fender a bit, and mounted rancho air shocks. They use stock lower mounts, and just made his own mount extension, 9 inches long where the other bushing/sleeve mounts too. These shocks are meant for keeping level loads when towing/hauling. however he has been on this setup for 10 years, says it raises the truck just fine to near stock height, and when deflated it sits on the bumper.

Problem is rancho doesnt make these anymore. Monroe has the MAX AIR shocks, which seem to do the same. they come anywhere from a maximum stroke of 7-13 inches. Im not looking for quick slamming, quick raising. The truck had the torsion bars removed by the P.O. and air shocks seem like a cheap and ez alternative with ease of adjustability. Do you think these monroe max airs should do the trick? Planning on using a linolc town car air compressor and some kind of valve with electronic control for in cab adjustability.
greg5oh   +1y
i should mention that i DO want to slam the front with the shocks deflated. Again, right now dont care that its slow to raise back up or deflate. Wondering what compressed length of the monroe i should buy
greg5oh   +1y
bump-need some advice guys, gotta order these things soon...
baha   +1y
Why not go with some air struts?
greg5oh   +1y
air struts are expensive! like 500 a peice or pair. air shocks are only 60 for the pair..
greg5oh   +1y
i was just thinking...say i dont care about air ride and slammage..if im making brackets, why not just get a coilover shock to mount up front? It would work the same way as the air shock..but i wouldnt have to worry about it being high/low enough...
91extcab   +1y
I just put load carrying shocks on the rear of my b2600 and its a coil built onto the shock...might be able to use those if you were already planning on making your own upper mounts... Were close to the same price as the sky jacker air shocks sold by auto zone but you don't run the risk of the air shocks losing pressure or the side to side air transfer that the shocks have...shared fill and dump valve... I paid 75 plus tax for my new set... I pulled air shocks off the back of mine for these new ones
greg5oh   +1y
the coil on shock are only rated for 500 pounds. the air schocks are rated for 1200 or so. Im just trying to find the largest diameter ones available(larger piston area-more force per psi), and just gotta spec length. for now.

also the shcocks wont have side to side air transfer. they use a shrader valve on the fill line, so you fill em and thats it. And if they dont have a shrader valve, wellill just put one in then. side to side air transfer would be scary!
91extcab   +1y
The air shocks I got only have an increase of 500 lbs capacity as well...but I'm on factory leaf packs in the rear with the load carrying shocks as well...i just got tired of a system that constantly leaked and no matter what and that wasn't really convenient to use
greg5oh   +1y
monroeas are rated at 1200 psi...no one has done this before? cmon..