Page 2 of 4
Mazda 2.0L \  Jumping at lower rpms

Jumping at lower rpms

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5132
replies 34
following 7

mazdatweaker_2   +1y
If it were me I'd guess at a rotor and a cap, but I'd check the vacuum advance for proper operation, too.
emjay   +1y
Did you mess with the ground wire near the rear of the head?
codywayne718   +1y

Not that I'm aware of....
codywayne718   +1y

Not that I'm aware of....
codywayne718   +1y
May not matter, but I just started it to pull it in the garage, 20 degrees here, choked it, an backed up and it didn't do it... letting it warm up to see if it does it after temp gets up. Didn't do it when I pulled forward either....
codywayne718   +1y
Yup, still doing it guess I'm gonna pull the cap
codywayne718   +1y
Oil in distributor........
emjay   +1y
Cheap fix though. Just an o-ring.
codywayne718   +1y
According to auto zone, the o ring just keeps oil out of the block, if oil is coming up into the distributor then the bushings are bad and the distributor needs to be replaced. I hope it fixes it cause the mis only being in certain parts of the throttle makes me wonder if it's not a Carb problem
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
There is a seal inside of the distributor that can be replaced if you can find it. That would stop the oil leak and maybe your jumping problem before you jump on the "carb must have problems with it" bandwagon. Carbs almost never do what you are describing in terms of partial throttle jumpiness. If you have oil in the distributor you probably have fouled the rotor and cap and they are cheap and easy to replace.

Added edit:

Get yourself a can of brake cleaner and spray down the inside of the distributor cap and rotor, and the inside of the distributor to flush out the oil, then try running the truck to see if the problem has gone away at least for a time. That will help you diagnose whether your problem is spark or fuel related.