threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Crankshaft Sprocket Bolt Torque?

Crankshaft Sprocket Bolt Torque?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3246
replies 12
following 5

billysobx   +1y
What is the proper torque of the crankshaft sprocket bolt,(timing belt application)? Hayne's manual says 9-12.3 ft lbs. Is that correct?
dan woodland   +1y
?Shop manual says crankshaft pulley lock bolt... 116-123fp.
Cusser   +1y

Haynes is not correct - with their value you'll end up ruining your crankshaft.

Common sense and engineering dictate that bigger bolts take bigger torque - so question if it doesn't seem correct.
dan woodland   +1y
Cusser makes a good point... big bolts big torque... FYI: I found that torque setting in the Mazda Shop Manual...
scotch   +1y
Billy,

Take a closer look at the manual. The TIMING BELT GEAR/SPROCKET is torqued as Cusser and Dan have stated (1 big bolt.) The torque figure that you have quoted is for the crankshaft drive belt pulley.... Alternator, Power Steering, AC (6 small bolts.) The manual is probably just calling it the "crankshaft pulley."
scotch   +1y
Even the factory manual diagram can be tricky. The accessory drive belt pulley is only showing a single bolt which could be mistaken for the timing belt gear bolt if you don't look closely.

thread post photo

But there are in fact 6 bolts.

thread post photo
Post was last edited on Nov 22, 2014 05:11. This post has been edited 1 times.
Cusser   +1y
Great post, Scotch.
scotch   +1y
Correction!!!

All of the numbers and diagrams above are for a B2200 engine. I just realized you have a B2000. I just checked my 2.0 manual and the timing belt gear is 108-116 FT-LBs... so slightly less. The accessory drive belt pulley is still the same 9-12.3.

Always a good idea to post what engine you have at the beginning of a thread. An awful lot of information/specs/parts are the same for all of the trucks. But there are some differences (even among the otherwise very similar 2.0 and 2.2 engines) and you don't' want to get the wrong info.

Here it is right from the 86 B2000 manual:

thread post photo
billysobx   +1y
Thanks for all the info guys. I knew that number was wrong, plus it is not a pulley, it is a sprocket or gear. When I did the teardown, I used a 1/2" drive air impact and it didn't want to budge. So I knew I was reading or looking at something wrong. Thanks again, can ya'll tell me where I can get a shop manual?
Cusser   +1y

OK: pretty good post, Scotch.