Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  1984 b2000 need help blew motor

1984 b2000 need help blew motor

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9832
replies 20
following 8

84sundowning   +1y
Last night I blew the headgasket on my 84 b2000 and I was curious if any of the fe/post 86 b2000 motors would bolt up to me transmission any help would be awesome. I am pulling the head to check for a warped head or blown rings...... thank god for my v8 camaro hahaha I already miss my B's gas mileage!
filigree   +1y
They should bolt up since they are the same engine series.
slammed83mazda   +1y

BIG NEGATIVE!! Not true at all.

Sorry 84sundowning, pretty much everything from the 86-93 WILL not swap over. Hell even some wheels are questionable because of offsets and such.

Sorry you got a case of a typical 2.0 I know jacob will chime in shortly. But these motors are notorious for taking a shit and blowing head gaskets. After blowing my 3rd 1 on my stock motor, I finally said fuck it and decided for a motor swap.
trplezro   +1y
Haha I think nick covered it. Nothing will swap over unfortunately. You probably just blew a head gasket. Since its the most common failure on these things
filigree   +1y
I thought they were both the f series blocks what all is different as far as a bolt up to the 84 tranny cause i wouldnt mind the 1998 cc upgrade from my 1970.
trplezro   +1y
The 84 and earlier are the MA engine code. Timing chain instead of timing belt is one of the major differences. Trust me, they won't bolt up to the others transmissions. I've seen plenty of people try under the same assumptions, hell I almost did myself until I dug deeper into research, along with Nick's help.
You can search on some the ford courier to locate parts too since many of them had the 2.0 MA engine.
To put it simply, They changed every single thing in 85. Nothing is transferable.
You're engine swap options are pretty good with ford engines. I've seen plenty of 302 swaps. The most common 4 cyl swap in our years is the 2.3L ford engine. Since the Courier ran that engine in addition to the 2.0 mazda engine. Motor mounts and the usual stuff have to be made, along with a front sump oil pan/pickup.
84sundowning   +1y
Awesome so I suppose it is just headgasket for now and sr20 swap later lol..... as far as the head gasket goes any tips on this one or is it straight forward, also anyone know of someone who makes a steel crush style headgasket to avoid doing this again next week?
wicked   +1y
When I blew a head gasket on mine long ago,it was just the metal ring on the gasket come loose and was slapping the piston.Maybe I was lucky,but no futher damage.
trplezro   +1y
I hate doing them on these. The haynes manual walks you through it pretty well.
slammed83mazda   +1y
There really isn't no avoiding it again, Im not trying to sound like a dick. But even with every step possible to help this, you may get 10k miles and boom blow another one, thats how prone they are to doing it.