threads
Page 2 of 3
Mazda 2.0L \  2.0 with 2.2 parts and different timing belt?

2.0 with 2.2 parts and different timing belt?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7711
replies 24
following 6

robzilla   +1y

I figured this all out. My original post was back in 2013 I all ready new it was because it was a jdm engine. I just wanted confirmation from someone else.
I told Napa auto parts I needed a timing belt for an 83 Honda prelude which is 108 teeth. In my build thread I have pics of the blocks side by side. Since my rebuild this motor has been running great! It passed smog here in Ca. As far as any difference between this and the versions we have here, I can't tell. This truck never drove with the 2.2 that was in it. The B2200 I had years ago was a single cab this one is cab+. If you are looking for more power do a Kia swap or some other engine v6/v8. I wanted to go with a Honda S2000 engine, then I found this engine for $300 and I went with it. Having to rebuilding it ended up costing more but it's still less than I would have spent on the swap. During my rebuild I saw a 2.2 fuel injected for sale. I wanted to go that route too, I have heard people say the fuel injected has better response. I had all ready spent the money at the machine shop though.
mazda0991   +1y
Can you say the 2.0 JDM engine is like a 2.2 or is the 2.0 JDM engine same a regular 2.0?
robzilla   +1y
Well, I have never driven one of these trucks with a U.S. 2.0. With the JDM 2.0 the truck feels the same to me as with a 2.2, but I have also done a full rebuilt, including the carb and intake manifold. I have pushed it hard and it does good for what it is. It's still no race car that's for sure.
mazda0991   +1y
Yeah I get you I got a 2.0 and wanted a 2.2 but I ended up with a 2.0 JDM engine . as long its like a 2.2 I'm good lol
mazda0991   +1y
I took mine to a shop and they said I had 2.2 pistons I'm not sure if the engine you guys have also had them or where 2.0 pistons
mazda0991   +1y
Can you fit 2.2 pistons on 2.0 engine , if so how would it run
robzilla   +1y
The machine shop I worked with measured my block and sold me a re-ring kit for it, which were 2.0 parts.

The difference between the two is the block deck height. The 2.2 is taller so the Pistons can have a longer stroke.
mazda0991   +1y
Would if i get them shaved doen to fit
? Would it be good?
robzilla   +1y
If the block you have was bored over then you will have to go with those parts. Did you have a machine shop measure you block? You probably don't need to replace your Pistons. Just getting new rings and bearings can save money on parts. My Pistons were fine I just cleaned them and replaced the rings and bearings. I also swapped out the crank for a rebuilt. I wouldn't waste a bunch of money trying to make this engine get more power. You would be better off putting that money towards an engine swap. This stock engine freshly built does feel stronger than one that is old and worn out.
Retswerb   +1y
Ok, I think I'm in the same boat. 87 b2000, previous owner said the guy who owned it before him had put a rebuilt engine in at some point.

Today I went after the leaking water pump, but neither the pump nor the timing belt I got from my FLAPS matched what I pulled off. 108 tooth belt and what I take to be a 2.2 style water pump. It's also got both a tensioner and an idler pulley.

Totally confused trying to look up information tonight to find a replacement belt. How would I know if this is indeed a jdm 2.0? Can I tell by serial number? And if that is the case, is the 83 prelude belt the one I want?

Thanks for the help.