Page 3 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  B series with a hemi

B series with a hemi

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2557
replies 30
following 3

Ricko1966   +1y
So if I write something here you will write something back to show us all how smart you are. Right? Reread the whole thread,you will see who made what personal, and showed their {you know}.
The Lizard King   +1y
Thread delivers.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
From Wikipedia:

A hemispherical cylinder head ("hemi-head") gives an efficient combustion chamber with an excellent surface-to-volume ratio, with minimal heat loss to the head, and allows for two large valves. However, a hemi-head allows no more than two valves per cylinder, and these large valves are necessarily heavier than in a multi-valve engine. The intake and exhaust valves lie on opposite sides of the chamber and necessitate a "cross-flow" head design. Since the combustion chamber is a partial hemisphere, a flat-topped piston would yield too low a compression ratio unless a very long stroke is used, so to attain desired compression ratio the piston crown is domed to protrude into the head at top dead center, resulting in a combustion chamber in the shape of the thick peel of half an orange.

Read this again:

a flat-topped piston would yield too low a compression ratio unless a very long stroke is used, so to attain desired compression ratio the piston crown is domed to protrude into the head at top dead center, resulting in a combustion chamber in the s, it is a shape of the thick peel of half an orange.

Don't confuse a hemi head for a hemi engine. If all you have is the head, you have a semi-hemi . . and a trademark name that was registered by Chrysler.

Here is a link to a Youtube video that helps explain some of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLns7ibeUps
Ricko1966   +1y
reckognize this?
The design is not hype... it's proven technology. There are quite a few engines that were larger than the HEMIs of old, that didn't make the horsepower the HEMI did. Bragging rights came from the power that proved the design. Any engine with a hemispherical combustion chamber makes it a HEMI, but they cannot call it one, because Chrysler owns the rights.

He even said you cannot call it a hemi because of trademark.

If a hemi engine was that much better at power production like the claims make it out to be, then why don't other factories make more use of it? Who besides chrysler makes a hemi engine? Just because an engine has a hemisperical combustion chamber doesn't make out to be the big whoop.
those are your words. And you said the 2tc toyota was a hemi also

Then I showed you who else makes hemispherical head engines which you disputed and I proved., And now it comes back to trademark name no longer is it about power,design,who makes what now it is trademark..,, Good One, you won oh mighty, smartest of all car gods. Not quite certain how we all made it this far without you. Who won the special olympic race after all? Congrats.
Just for fun reread this!
Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used since at least 1901;[1] they were used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905[2] and the 1907 Fiat 130 HP Grand Prix racer.[3] The Peugeot Grand Prix Car of 1912 and the Alfa Romeo Grand Prix car of 1914 both were four valve engines also, Daimler, and Riley were also using hemispherical combustion chambers. Stutz, beginning in 1912, used four-valve engines,[4] conceptually anticipating modern car engines. Other examples include the BMW double-pushrod design (adopted by Bristol Cars), the Peugeot 403, the Toyota T engine and Toyota V engine (Toyota's first V8 engine), and Miller racing engines, and the Jaguar XK engine.[5]

A hemispherical combustion chamber is a type of combustion chamber in a reciprocating internal combustion engine with a domed cylinder head. The hemispherical shape provides a number of advantages over a reverse-flow cylinder head but comes up short in others, particularly in carbureted engines. An engine featuring this type of hemispherical chamber is known as a hemi engine.
I'm still letting you win though I hope you get that minibike someday.
Post was last edited on Sep 07, 2017 10:09. This post has been edited 2 times.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
http://www.venolia.com/gallery/images/products/pistons/import/toyota-2tc-piston.jpg.html

http://www.venolia.com/gallery/images/products/pistons/chrysler/chrysler-426-hemi-piston.jpg.html

This is science, dealing with an advancing flame front. What sloopy terminalogy calls it is something else. Chrysler used to make a genuine hemi but what they market today is not what it was.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e312/sunray9/DSC_0022.jpg
Ricko1966   +1y
I told you, you won!!!! now go pull the legs of a bug or something.
Ricko1966   +1y
Geez somebody better call Summit Racing and Kieth Black {You think this will get anyone wound up}

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/uem-kb289-040_w_ml.jpg

Chrysler 392 Hemi Pistons Hypereutectic FT 30 over 8-1 comp KB289-30

Part No. kb28930 Manufacturer Keith Black Pistons KB Pistons
Car Make Chrysler Dodge Mopar Component Pistons, 392 Hemi Pistons
(0 customer reviews)
Submit a Review
Chrysler 392 hemi pistons hypereutectic flat top piston set; .030 oversize 8-1 compression with 104cc chamber; 4.030 bore 3.900 stroke 6.958 rod 1.940 compression height; top ring groove 5/64; 2nd ring groove 5/64; oil ring groove 3/16; Flat top 28cc 2V; weight 620 grams; high strength hypereutectic piston set for use in high performance engines. Set includes 8 pistons 8 wrist pins and lock rings. Supplied with .984 wrist pins Note: Centered Pin Part number KB289-030
Price: $531.67 $430.65
$430.65 In stock

Refer to Friend

Click the 'Add to Cart' button above to place this item in your shopping cart - you will not be charged by doing this. Quantities can be changed by clicking 'view cart' at the top of any page.
Image of kb28930
Chrysler 392 Hemi Pistons Hypereutectic FT 40 over 8-1 comp KB289-40

Part No. kb28940 Manufacturer Keith Black Pistons KB Pistons
(0 customer reviews)
Submit a Review
Chrysler 392 hemi pistons hypereutectic flat top piston set; .040 oversize 8-1 compression with 104cc chamber; 4.040 bore 3.900 stroke 6.958 rod 1.940 compression height; top ring groove 5/64; 2nd ring groove 5/64; oil ring groove 3/16; Flat top 28cc 2V; weight 620 grams; high strength hypereutectic piston set for use in high performance engines. Set includes 8 pistons 8 wrist pins and lock rings. Supplied with .984 wrist pins Note: Centered Pin Part number KB289-040
$430.65 In stock

Refer to Friend

Click the 'Add to Cart' button above to place this item in your shopping cart - you will not be charged by doing this. Quantities can be changed by clicking 'view cart' at the top of any page.
Image of kb28940
Chrysler 392 Hemi Pistons Hypereutectic FT 60 over 8-1 comp KB289-60

Part No. kb28960 Manufacturer Keith Black Pistons KB Pistons
(0 customer reviews)
Submit a Review
Chrysler 392 hemi pistons hypereutectic flat top piston set; .060 oversize 8-1 compression with 104cc chamber; 4.060 bore 3.900 stroke 6.958 rod 1.940 compression height; top ring groove 5/64; 2nd ring groove 5/64; oil ring groove 3/16; Flat top 28cc 2V; weight 620 grams; high strength hypereutectic piston set for use in high performance engines. Set includes 8 pistons 8 wrist pins and lock rings. Supplied with .984 wrist pins Note: Centered Pin Part number KB289-060
$430.65 In stock

Refer to Friend

Image of kb28960
Ricko1966   +1y
You still win though.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
I can see that this discussion still needs clarification.

Whatever you call an engine means very little if the facts don't line up properly. Rotary engines are not the same as radial engines, and cheeseburgers aren't cheeseburgers when they are missing the cheese. Chrysler marketed a hemi engine with pistons that looked like this for NASCAR racing.

http://www.venolia.com/gallery/images/products/pistons/chrysler/chrysler-426-hemi-piston.jpg.html

According to http://www.hcdmag.com/426-hemi-engine/ The compression ratio for those racing engines was 12.5 to 1, unlike the picture you posted of a 392 flat top piston for a 392 at 8.1 compression https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/uem-kb289-040_w_ml.jpg

Go here for more pictures of hemi pistons, a necessary component for an engine to be classified as a hemi. https://www.summitracing.com/search/section/pistons-piston-rings/make/dodge/engine-size/7-0l-426/engine-family/mopar-hemi

Veniola pistons shows proper picture for a 392 hemi engine here: http://www.venolia.com/gallery/images/products/pistons/chrysler/chrysler-354-392-piston.jpg.html

Using the wrong piston in the engine takes it out of the hemi class. Tossing around the word hemi does a disservice to what the engine really is. It isn't likely flat top pistons in a 426 would allow it to generate 425 horsepower.\

For whatever it is worth, I have a Tomos 49cc motorcycle, 2 stroke, with a hemi head and a flat top piston. I am sure you would agree with me that there isn't anyway to classify it as a hemi engine. But if I changed out the pistone to something with a domed top, then it would be a hemi.
Ricko1966   +1y
Have you called summit and keith black and the rest of the world to let them know about their sloopy terminology, this is why you got picked last, just take your ball and go home.

A hemispherical combustion chamber is a type of combustion chamber in a reciprocating internal combustion engine with a domed cylinder head. The hemispherical shape provides a number of advantages over a reverse-flow cylinder head but comes up short in others, particularly in carbureted engines. An engine featuring this type of hemispherical chamber is known as a hemi engine.
Did you read that? An engine with that chamber is known as a hemi.

HEMI
Acronym Definition
Hemi Hemispherical
hemi hemispherical (combustion chambers in engines)
HEMI High Energy Metals, Inc. (Sequim, WA)
HEMI Hagyard Equine Medical Institute (Lexington, KY)
HEMI Hybrid EFIE (Electric Field Integral Equation) /MFIE (Magnetic Field Integral Equation) Iterative
HEMI Husky Energy Marketing, Inc. (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
noun, Automotive.

an internal-combustion engine having hemispherical combustion chambers.
Origin of hemi
shortening of hemi-head

By definition it has to have a hemispherical combustion chamber, not a hemispherical combustion chamber and domed pistons. I can buy flat top pistons for a 426 hemi all day long it is still a hemi it just now it is a low compression hemi.

Next up is an engine kit for a 241 HEMI that had factory flat tops speedway even has a build article on one you can see the grimey old factory flat top pistons

Piston Set with Pins
Part #: L1029-8 Price: $406.09
L1029-8

Desc: 1953 - 1955 Dodge 241cid, V8, Piston set
Specifications:
Bore Size (inches): 3.4375
Application: Dodge
Clearance: 0.0025
Compression Height: 1.73400
Cylinders: 8
Distance Between Bosses: 1.25
Head Type: Flat
Overall Length (inches): 3.25
Ring Set Up: 2)5/64,1)3/16
Skirt Style: Slipper Skirt
Slot Type: H
Wrist Pin size: .859F

Oversize:

Quantity:

Weight: 11.00 lbs

Engine Rebuild Kits
Application Kit #
Dodge 241 V8 1953-54 HEMI DO241M53-54
Plymouth 241 V8 1955 PL241M55
Related Products

I proved it's not hype.I proved other manufacturers made engines with hemispherical heads. some even with domed pistons, I showed you a list from wiki of who made hemispherical head engines.
I more than covered your 2nd post. Then I more than covered your 3rd post now you want. Now this is no longer even about if it was proven design or hype, now it's about whatever definition of Hemi you choose to accept. I even let you win what more do you want. Call wiki call websters,summit,jegs,keith black etc.

You win!!! Go home
Post was last edited on Sep 10, 2017 03:09. This post has been edited 1 times.