Mazda Engine Swaps \  13B turbo swap questions

13B turbo swap questions

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7852
replies 20
following 5

jota69   +1y
I'm debating on a 13B turbo swap for my 1991 B2600i

Anyone has a writeup on how to do this swap or at least what engine mounts did you use to make it all fit or is there anywhere I can find mounts to do this swap?

how hard was this swap to do?
what was the hardest part when doing the swap?
mjavy7   +1y
I did a 12A n/a swap before (years ago) and the engine mount was 100% custom made. This does not mean that there is not one out there for you but it is in the front of the engine far enough that renders your stock location useless.

Here is a link to a sketch...

The plate on the center was 5/16 thick welded to the cross pipe. The cross pipe had two holes to allow a bolt on each end. The angles that are welded to the frame have a thru hole to accept the bolt and a nut on the underside welded to accept the bolts.
massivenuts   +1y
I used a 12a front cover with series 1 rx7 mounts welded to the chassis rails with a custom bracket. A series 5 rx7 gearbox and had to shorten the rear shifter to fit in the original hole in the floor. Did pretty mean skids but used more gas than a v8 and was a bit of a bitch to use as an everyday driver.
befarrer   +1y
Requires custom engine mounts, and since you have a B2600, its the same tranny as your truck, have to swap the tail shaft, and that should mount up like stock. Will definitely need a custom turbo exhaust manifold.
befarrer   +1y
Requires custom engine mounts, and since you have a B2600, its the same tranny as your truck, have to swap the tail shaft, and that should mount up like stock. Will definitely need a custom turbo exhaust manifold.
jota69   +1y

Do you have a picture of what the mounts will look like? can you point me to someone that can make this mounts for me?
massivenuts   +1y
another way if you can find them at wreckers yards
thread post photo
s1 or s3 rx7 crossmember, I have done plenty of conversions using these where they have been near enough to bolting in with minimal modification required (slotting the holes to bolt them in or just straight welding them in because they happened to fit in the width.
thread post photo
If you use the factory crossmember above you then just need this front bracket off a s1-s3 rx7
thread post photo
Then you get this front cover off a 12a and it bolts up from the front. The lower you get the engine and box the better so that the drive shaft is straight and doesn't vibrate at higher speeds. You need a 12a sump also. Series 4/5 gear boxes are the strongest to use. I don't know if the b2000 boxes will stand up to 300hp for very long and shortening the rx7 boxes to suit is pretty easy. Depending on where you mount your engine you may not even need to shorten the box at all. You can then use the s4 rubber gearbox mount and bolt it to the b2000 gearbox crossmember and just slot the holes to suit. you will probably need to change the driveshaft yoke to rx aswell unless the b2000 one happens to fit, and get the driveshaft balanced.
befarrer   +1y
I used mostly all S4 parts. I used a 91 Convertible transmission, changed the tail shaft housing and shift linkage to use the stock B2200 tail shaft and transmission mount. Mounted that up, then dangled the engine in the middle of the frame with transmission bolted like stock. The middle iron, which is where the stock engine mount attaches to the 13B lines up perfectly with the removable cross member on the B2200, so I attached it to the cross member mounts, and made a custom cross memeber to clear the oil pan (which sits lower than the stock motor), sat the motor as low as I could. Engine is solid mounted. How you mount your transmission makes a big difference. The clutch release arm is on the top drivers side, and had clearance issues, however, the oilpan cutout for the frame is very close to the steering on the B2200, if I were to move my engine forward 1/2 inch, it would have to be 2 inches higher to clear the steering. Also, my motor is very tight to the firewall, so you could not really move it backwards much further.
jota69   +1y

Do you have any pictures of your setup, how you mounted the engine and the the crossmember you made?
jota69   +1y
so, out of the 2 options, wich one would be better?
S3 crossmember with 12A front cover, engine mount and oil pan
or
S4 13B mounts and built my own crossmember that would bolt on to my stock mounts