Page 2 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  91 mazda b2600i 302 swap

91 mazda b2600i 302 swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2340
replies 15
following 3

sincitylocal   +1y
There's no reason to change the FI pump. Just get a fuel pressure regulator the has a 3rd port to return the excess fuel to the tank.
Also, if the 302 was originally FI, you may not be able to install a mechanical pump, as the block may be new enough that they quit machining the pump opening after a while... plus, there won't be a lobe on the cam to operate it.
b2600bomber   +1y
The timing cover still has the spot but they're blocked off but can be cut out or get an older timing cover and the pump lobe on the cam bolts on. Good idea on the regulator I don't know where to find something like that but SinCityLocal might.
jonnyboy303   +1y
Ok I guess I'll try the regulator. And it's 95 f150 302. I want to carb it and put a b303 cam so what do I have to do to get it running now haha this is getting kinda confusing now.
b2600bomber   +1y
Just swap the cam and intake and you should be good to go. The only reason to worry about the timing cover would be if you were going to use a mechanical fuel pump. The regulator I assume is something like this:

You may want to double check with SinCityLocal to be sure on that though don't quote me. I always just changed the pump so if something ever happened to the the pump it would be easy to get to. While you're doing a cam swap I would also recommend looking at the timing chain and gears and replace them while you're already in there.
jonnyboy303   +1y
Ok cool so I'm gunna stick with the stock fuel pump and use the regulator an I planned on getting a new chain and gears for it so it'll be good.
sincitylocal   +1y
I'm not sure on that reg. They aren't saying if the 3rd port is for return to the tank, or if it's an additional regulated port. I would contact customer support before you buy anything, just to make sure it suits your needs.