threads
Page 2 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Engine swap in California???

Engine swap in California???

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2563
replies 14
following 9

geterdun   +1y
Get a 74 or earlier model GM v6 (3. [GM sold the tooling to AMC (Rambler) in the 60's go here for the story and pre-74 v6 choices ], should be a drop in fit. At least my 90 4.3 Vortec was. That would take care of smoggo?
befarrer   +1y

Has to be newer than year of the truck it is going into, so that leaves 90's model engines and newer, and they have to run all of the smog systems that came with that motor, so the stock fuel injection has to stay, air pump, cat converter, egr, etc...

When I had my Fiero, I new of a guy in California that had the Caddy Northstar motor swapped, it was California Smogged, but he had to run stock computer and electronics with no error codes, even had to go as far as keeping the exhaust single outlet like the Caddy it came from, not dual's like the Fiero came with.
geterdun   +1y
Move? I hear Arizona is nice.
Choose a place where you can commute to work, maybe up to a hundred miles away, in that other state, and drive something you would love to truck in? A truck with the engine you want in it? Fixed like you want it, front and rear sway bars (move the front to the rear, put larger diameter in the front)?
I did it in a Smokey and Bandit 6.6 TA from 77-80 in and around the mountains of Tn, over 100,000 miles.
Cusser   +1y

First test before moving: stick your head inside the 400F degree oven for a few minutes. If you can stand that, you may be a candidate.

However, we have zero emissions testing in all counties except the largest two. Those two test back to 1967 though.
geterdun   +1y
Too bad, here, if the tail and brake lights work, ok. Oops, not so, the inspection stick ends this year, "Too many resources used for that, money can be better used elsewhere". Straight pipe exhaust, yee ha!
That is probably true, we will drown before quality of air will kill us, so let's warm up the air with burnt fuel heat and melt the glaciers, no problem.