Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  406 c.I. sbc swap

406 c.I. sbc swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 6460
replies 16
following 5

jordan   +1y
I have a 302 I was planning on swapping because it was supposed to be easy bit the chavy man in me said screw the ford so I bought a 406 cubic inch small block chevy and a turbo 350 trans! I will be buying a universal sbc motor mount kit and getting it together asap! Anyone got reccomendations about how to do a tranny crossmember? Mod the stock one? How about engine position, put it as far as possible? Is the firewall gona need to be modded with the distributor being in the rear of the motor?
oo7bob   +1y
crossmember: you can mod the stock, i bought a universal trans mount, $39 make it work. simpler, cleaner, made to fit your application. heres mine in the chassis
thread post photo

engine position: yes, far back as possible. i clipped the lip so i can get my fingers around the cap
thread post photo

thread post photo

good luck
rustbukkit   +1y
There's a kit for dropping a sbc into a b truck? If so please hook me up with a link to it. I'm putting a 350 or 383 stroker into a b2600
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
long time ago a company made a kit for 302. now a days theres not much for kits for a b series..... dont think any company is making an engine kits
rustbukkit   +1y
What about this universal SBC mounting kit?
oo7bob   +1y
no kit is going to "just work". if you watch this utube clip from that show gears, you will figure out how to put it in. check it out , and the next one

" target="_blank

"Every once in a while, there comes a point in your project where there are no parts available to help you and your only choice is to make something yourself... but how do you do that??? Well, Stacey walks you through the steps of how to lay out an engine swap, and how to hand fabricate motor mounts, so you can stick an engine into a vehicle that it was never intended to go into. It's hard-core, down and dirty how-to, but somebody has to do it... and it needs to be YOU. The good news is, with Stacey walking you through the process and showing you how to solve problems,"
jordan   +1y
Yesterday i got the motor bolted up to the th350 and bolted in. The motor mounts are solid mounts i made. I did not modify the tranny tunnel at all and this is as far back as i could get the motor. The distributor is about 2" from the firewall, and the oil pan is just barely off of the crossmember. The transmission crossmember has 2 mounting holes and there are 3 mounting holes on the frame to allow 2 different ways to bolt in the xmember. I moved it up to the closest 2 mounting holes and it made the holes in the tranny mount line up perfectly with the crossmemberr mounting location. Exhaust is going to be very tight but should be doable. Biggest problem i see is where am i gona put a radiator and fans??? I can get a short water pump but i still have hardly any room up front!!! All in all the swap was very easy, you can buy or make universal mounts, tranny lined up great, and didnt have to remove any of the front clip.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
jc50942   +1y
i too did a sbc swap in mine...i didnt buy anything...made all my mounts and used the stock tranny crossmember....its still in the very rough stages but fuctional. Heres what i got for pics so far...i figure a link is better than trying to post them all.

jc50942   +1y
everything fits really tight up front and i put in fans right behid the grill.
jc50942   +1y

not trying to hijack this thread...but did you have your headers made or did you find some that would work...ive just got the stock manifolds right now and really would like to switch to headers once i get the new built motor\