threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Interior \  Advice for replacing interior door handles/removing panels?

Advice for replacing interior door handles/removing panels?

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 2249
replies 16
following 6

hellaciousc   +1y
Both of my interior door handles on my b2000 have cracked and are falling off.
So I finally need to replace them.

I assume I have to remove the door panels to do so.
I've never fooled with removing the panels, or trying to replace them.

Any tips/hints/helpful advice would be much appreciated.

I can't even figure out how to get the panel off just yet...
Post was last edited on Dec 01, 2013 11:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
There are "Christmas Tree" clips that run the perimeter of the panel, spaced every 8 inches or so.
You can use a tool like this, or even a flat screwdriver if you're careful.

hellaciousc   +1y
thanks for the tip!
b2600bomber   +1y
This may help....

Start out by rolling the window down and removing all of the screws...

Go ahead and remove the little black piece behind mirror.

Then there is a little metal clip that holds on the window crank that is between the crank and door panel. They make a tool for this also but you can use a flathead to push it out just don't lose it haha.

Then start at the top corner near the hinges and begin popping the push fasteners loose. These are the ones SinCityLocal suggested the tool for. Be careful not to break them or mess up your door panel itself. Once you have them loose all the way around pull the bottom of the door panel out and fish your interior door handle through the hole. Then just hold out a little on the bottom and lift it straight up out of the window channel. Just reverse everything to put it back but be sure to get the lock plunger back in its hole at the rear corner of the window. A tip for putting the window crank back on is to put the metal clip on the crank and put the bushing in place then just push it on it's shaft and it should lock into place.
post photo
post photo
hellaciousc   +1y
Fantastic. Thanks so much for that very detailed tutorial. That is super helpful. I realize i accidentally typed 2600 instead of b2000 but i assume its all pretty much the same. The panels look very similar
b2600bomber   +1y
You're very welcome and I'll help all I can. I forgot to mention the plastic clip on the door handle itself but it's pretty self explanatory once you get the door panel out of the way and can see it.
Cusser   +1y
Well, I could swear that I posted this morning about doing the window crank handle horseshoe clip first.....and that I have, and use, the same type of panel clip tool, available pretty much everywhere.

However, seeing what b2600bomber's door panel looks like, not surprised he'd like to show it off, looks great !
dan woodland   +1y
The panels don't have to come off to remove or replace any of the door handles or window cranks.

Here's a trick
hellaciousc   +1y
Hey Dan-
That tip is great, thanks.

But can I really replace the door handle without removing the whole panel?
that would of course be the easiest. if you have any cheats for that, that's all that i need to do at the moment, is replace the door handles.

The odometer just rolled over 200k last Monday, and the driver's side door handle broke the next day! (the passenger side has been broken for about a year).
anguswilly   +1y
2 Things -

1) You need to make sure which direction the clip was installed because some people have them installed so the ends of the clip face away from the handle.

2) Yes, you can easily change the handle without taking the door panel off - in fact you have to remove the handle to remove the door panel.

Take off the one phillips screw, pull the rod so you can access the clip that holds the rod - then unclip it.

Takes no more than a couple minutes once you know what to do.