Page 1 of 2
Mazda Interior \  Fuel guage wtf

Fuel guage wtf

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 1391
replies 11
following 6

lysol86   +1y
Ok im trying to figure out what the deal is with this cluster. Speedo was bouncin all over but i took care of that. My temp guage reads oddly low but seems to be functioning. My gas guage is what is frustrating me.

When tank is full the guage is pegged empty. Stays there for a while. After a couple days it will read half tank then a a day or so later a quarter. The next day it will be half tank or bearly above. Then back to empty. Whats going on. Tried switching clusters. The one i switched to just plain didnt work. Pulled the guage. Its pretty simple looking but didnt really see anything wrong other than some loose wrap around the little lever deals. Anyone else have this prob? What was the cure?
toddluck   +1y
Sounds like a bad ground some where
lysol86   +1y
Thats kinda what i was thinkin but its jumping around is throwin me off. I pulled the cluster and cleaned all the contacts etc. Its just weird its not changing in and out quickly like a loose connection. Its slow and over time. Seems like every time i start it its somewhere else
2low4u87   +1y
thats weird cause my truck dos the same damn thing. and i have cleaned all the connections and it still does it. i was thinking if it could be a bad sending unit or not.
lysol86   +1y
That thought crossed my mind but i find it weird that it moves at all instead of just not working. Was hoping to narrow it down before going to the work of dropping the tank etc. I dont want to do more work and spend more money than needed especially when its -7 out.
86_b2k_runner   +1y
i have heard that its the sending unit after awhile it starts losing contact on the float i heard u can just pull them out and adjust them so the have a good contact
lysol86   +1y
Alright. I read a writeup on that somewhere. Looks like im gonna be droppin my tank and goin thru it and whatnot soon as it warms up a bit. Prolly do that on sunday. I will be sure to post my findings and results too.
86_b2k_runner   +1y
ok sounds good bro
lysol86   +1y
Just a breif update. Im pretty sure it is the sending unit as i went down a real bumpy road and it started working the cut out after another bump. However i just went out and bought an fe3 motor, harness, ecu, flywheel etc etc etc and am picking up b2600 fuel pump,sending unit and return line. So i guess i'll find out for sure when i get this thing all put together. Anything else anyone can think of needed for this swap?
91extcab   +1y
i have a b26 and im having the same problem with mine right now... can put 7 gallons in it and it barely reads above 1/4 tank... you fill it all the way and it goes all the way to full, but after some driving it will suddenly show empty, followed by like 40 miles later im back up to just over 1/4 tank... its odd... no one sells the sending unit from what ive read... and maybe i'll just need to pull my micro flat bed off and take a look at my tank guts...