threads
Page 1 of 15
Mazda Projects \  My project - new pics pg 10 7/22/15!

My project - new pics pg 10 7/22/15!

Mazda Projects
views 25296
replies 144
following 29

elbine69   +1y
Well some of you probably saw my post about building a frame for my truck for my senior project. I got started on it last week and figured I would get a thread going. First a little background. I got the truck in the fall of 2006 for $200 from this guy that couldn't get it to run. I towed it home, threw a battery in it and it fired right up. It had been worked on by a few people and was in pretty bad shape.
thread post photo

Some of the bad...
thread post photo

There was a 1/2" of bondo on the tailgate
It sat for awhile and I eventually pulled the motor out because someone was interested in it, but backed out so it got sent to the scrapyard.
The truck basically sat looking like this until the past few weeks:
thread post photo
Post was last edited on Jul 22, 2015 10:07. This post has been edited 5 times.
elbine69   +1y
At school in my solid modeling class I drew up a frame just for fun, thinking that maybe I might get to build something like it someday. The design has changed a little bit since this, but its pretty much the same.
thread post photo

I found out we had to do a senior project and this turned out to be something I could do and would save some time, because the design was already done.

Two weeks ago I took the cab off by myself, which I never want to do again. I wish I had taken pictures of that whole process, I thought the cab was going to come crashing down more than once.
Got it stripped down to this:
thread post photo

Ordered some frame rails a few weeks ago:

Last week was spring break, so I got the frame up on the frame table and got the front clip welded in place, and started mocking up the rails to see how they were going to look:
thread post photo

thread post photo

Got the rest of my tubing last Thursday and started getting the new frame rails in place:
thread post photo

thread post photo

And a crappy pic of my welds
thread post photo
elbine69   +1y
So that's pretty much up to date. I started working on the frame transition on Monday and have them about done, just a bit more welding to do. Ill get more pics of those tonight hopefully. Ordering the 4 link and possibly some bags tonight. Let me know what you guys think and any comments you have. Ill try to keep it updated as I get things done.
dogfather   +1y
Dude It's Looking good, How much time do you have to finish it?

Good Luck
paparoach1983   +1y
hells yeah man looking good so far
elbine69   +1y
Thanks. Roughly about 6 weeks till I have to do my presentation. I talked to my adviser this morning and he said that they haven't decided exactly when it will be.
dogfather   +1y
so are you gonna have to have the whole truck done or just the frame?
elbine69   +1y
Just the frame. My project was designing and building it, and doing all the related calculations. Stress, strain, weld sizing, suspension, etc. Hoping to have the cab set back on by the demonstration day, but we'll see.
elbine69   +1y
Worked on it a little tonight, got the rear crossmember in and partially welded. Also got some pics of the transition. Still alot more welding to be done on the transitions, and they need to be plated as well.
thread post photo

thread post photo
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
looking really good.