Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  cd player wiring

cd player wiring

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1835
replies 19
following 4

rjl1203   +1y
okay so i got a sony cd player, has a pre amp in it and it grounds off through the antenna. when i had it wired up to the stock wiring, it worked until at night when i turned the lights on it blew the running lights fuse which killed the radio and the dash lights. radio was hooked up right from what i can tell. any idea what causes this? replace the fuse and everything is back to normal until the lights get turned on.
fdugn545   +1y
Honestly I I were you I would just run a new wire from the batt for your constant 12v and then splice into the cigar fuse for the ign 12v that's what I did and I have had zero problems.
rjl1203   +1y
The radio will turn completely off with the source button held down for a few seconds, so i temporarily ran both power sources from the battery, but the back of the cd player gets really hot, which i dont like. thats why i wanted to go back to the stock wiring. but thats a good idea, i already did the same thing to my 300 watt amp, but i have the REM wire tapped into the wiper fuse. thanks man.
fdugn545   +1y
No problem I\'m currently trying to eliminate my factory radio harness but I don\'t wanna mess anything up... I just like to know that the wires aren\'t from 85 and that it\'s done right. I eventually want to re do all tw wiring in the truck. But in not in a hurry.
Cusser   +1y

Are you sure it shouldn't have a separate ground wire?

Also, did you hook up the wire for illumination in parallel with your dash lights? That's pretty much what was done in the old days with old-school stereos. Most modern stereos have LED lights, and don't have a separate illumination wire.

By the way, when your instrument panel lights/their fuse goes out, you don't get parking lights or tail lights either !!!
rjl1203   +1y
i had brake lights, but nothing else. and the antenna is the only ground, cd player wont turn on without it which kinda irked me cuz i dont even lissten to the radio and it gets shitty reception anyways. ill try and post a picture of the stereo harness tomorrow, its just 2 power wires and the rest speaker wire excluding some random blue wire i have no idea the purpose for. wiring is far from my 'thing'.

and fdugn, i dont blame you; seems the wiring to the radio serves more than one purpose since it blows fuses that to me seem completely un-related. maybe a haynes manual from the part store has a wiring diagram that can give you more insight to what all they do. let me know if you come across anything plz.
Cusser   +1y
I have a Sony CD player, and it has a traditional ground. Loosen a screw on the CD player case, and run a ground wire from there to the B-truck metal/ground.
rjl1203   +1y
cd player is relatively new, maybe 1.5 years old. maybe thats a new thing they're doing? ill try and ground it with the screw tomorrow with no antenna. ill let you know what happens. ill also post a pic of the radio along with the harness, maybe it'll be helpful. wish i knew the model, i could just look up more info based on that but it was given to me.
Cusser   +1y
Do you have or download a copy of the manual and installation instructions?
rjl1203   +1y
i dont, just the unit and remote were given to me. i never paid too much attention to it, but maybe theres a model number on it somewhere. ill look over it when i fool with it tomorrow.