Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  Stock alternator with AMPS

Stock alternator with AMPS

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 2545
replies 17
following 11

isaacstyles92   +1y
I was wondering how large of an amplifier are you guys running on the stock alternator. I see all these with 1000W+ systems but they can't be using the stock alternator. How many watts can you safely squeeze out of this truck? I need to know before I go off and buy a bunch of stuff and then watch the headlights dim as the bass hits.
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
buy an HID kit for the headlights and youll never see the headlights dim....lol maybe the dash lights though.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
I don't know what you can run without them dimming but if I were you I would go down to Oreillys or Autozone and get a 105 amp 1 wire alternator with a lifetime warranty. I believe you can get them for about 100 bucks and it will solve all your electrical needs. I installed one on my 83 and it took care of a lot of problems I was having with my compressors and battery. And then I installed a 1000 watt amp on my pioneer shallow sub and still never had a problem. Just somethin to think about bro.
hunterw   +1y
highest i would go on a mazda stock alty is 1200 watts of continous power. best bet is to just upgrade your alty. especially if you think your going to get into audio for a while. ohio generator and mechman both make high output alts that drop right in. i run a mechman. and i like it.
isaacstyles92   +1y
Good. I have an 86 Mazda B2000 and was looking at dual 12" subs powered by 800W RMS and new speakers all the way around powered by a 4-channel 400W RMS amp. That totals 1200W total...and if worse comes to worse then I can just get an alternator from mechman. Plus I probably won't be running all those amps at a full 1200W anyways, I'm just getting a little extra juice to drive the subs with clean power.
smcustoms   +1y
i am running a 1200wt amp with stock amp. it worked fine until i put on an electric radiator fan and 2 compressors. battery is also getting old though.
isaacstyles92   +1y
Just for future reference, I found that you can put a 1995 Ford Windstar alternator that pumps out 130 amps compared to the stock 55 amps. A complete how-to is on this forum at this link:

Maybe this will help someone who needs some extra power but not as much as a mechman. Thanks for everyones advise.
slammedmazda   +1y

Im sure there is a thread on here.....But what alternator did you use(car/year?).And how do you wire it up? I just fried my stock one! And i'd rather pay $100 for a 105 amp and not for a 55 amp!
nonamedsomebody   +1y
I'm running a 1000w off the stock alt lights dim a little no other issues though.
isaacstyles92   +1y

1000W RMS or peak?