Page 1 of 3
Mazda Audio \  Dash mount radio help

Dash mount radio help

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1896
replies 25
following 2

GodLovesUgly   +1y
So I've read through some threads here that mounting a radio in the dash coin slot is doable, but requires modification to the duct work behind.

I just bought an 87 B2000 and some douche busted the window and stole the entire console piece that the old radio went in.... so I'm hoping to dash mount one.

I'd like to use a solid state Bluetooth radio so I can just interface w my phone.

The question: how deep can a unit be and fit w out modification? Anyone recommend a ss/Bluetooth unit that will work?

Cheers
Matt in WA state.
GodLovesUgly   +1y
I am going to update this with my direction and will include pics once the parts come in hopefully this will help others as this seams to be a common problem w the early B series.

I purchased a SS deck and new dash speakers from Crutchfield. They advised me that a few Pioneer decks have chasis under 4" in depth. I purchased the MVH-X390BT from Pioneer which is 3.86" deep.

I also purchased 2 JVC 4" speakers for the dash. My buddy gave me 2 Pioneer 4x6's that I plan to put in a homemade box behind the bench seat.

Hoping to start the fab and install late next week.
GodLovesUgly   +1y
So I started the install tonight. Removing the dash bezel is easy, pop off the cover in the top corner, and take off the cluster bezel to reveal another screw. Remove the knobs and remove the nuts underneath. Gently pry the dash bezel from the dash.

Once inside you can see what you're dealing with. The two areas circled in pink require modification for fitment. I removed the top cross-bar plastic piece below the heater vent entirely, and I shaved down the lower circled area to match the width of the deck.

I used a blowtorch and putty knife to do my cutting, and honed the rough edges with a razor blade. Fitment is good! No problems with clearance. Going to start wiring in the next few days.
post photo
post photo
post photo
GodLovesUgly   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
GodLovesUgly   +1y
So I completed the install on Saturday of this past weekend. In the first pic you can see where I had to cut the plastic dash using the puttyknife/blowtorch technique which worked excellent for the whole process. When wiring the two BLUE wires from the stock harness are your power wires, one is constant 12v, the other is 12v ignition the RED wire with BLACK stripe is actually for illumination, and is not necessary in modern applications. Just use a voltmeter to test the blue wires and find out which one is constant on vs. 12v ignition.

The Low profile chasis Pioneer deck fit in JUST BARELY. You should make sure to get the measurements of the chassis of any radio you might choose and keep them below 4". Like I said I believe this deck was right around 3.86" and it barely even fit. You can see behind the dash there is a STEEL frame for the dash support, that thing is way to narrow for the deck to fit through, and would require some pretty unpleasant looking modification if your deck was too deep!

Also pictured, I installed my bluetooth telephone microphone on the dash next to the cluster. I cut a notch to accommodate the cord, but you can actually pass a cord through there without being obstructed by the dash bezel, there is a slight gap between the bezel and the cluster.

I hope this will help others considering attempting this modification.

Cheers.
post photo
post photo
post photo
GodLovesUgly   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
GodLovesUgly   +1y
One more important side note!

I also replaced the 4" speakers in the dash with some JVC 4"ers I got off crutchfield. There is a CLEARANCE ISSUE behind these speakers, they do not have very much space behind them due to the heater vents, especially on the passengers side where the speaker actually goes into a recess shaped like the magnet that is in the heater vent.

I used the JVC CS-DR420 4" speakers with an overall depth of 1.711" I believe if your speakers are anywhere over 1.8" deep they will not fit in the stock application.

Good luck.
The Lizard King   +1y
Interesting install. Amazon says that your deck is 4.2 inches deep, though.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-MVH-X390BT-Receiver-compatibility-Bluetooth/dp/B01KKHTP7Q
sincitylocal   +1y
Since you started this thread, I've been trying to comment, but I couldn't login. I was going to recommend that exact line of head units, but you got it done any how. And it looks great!
GodLovesUgly   +1y
You could be right. The 3.8 must have been the MVH-S501BS which was the other unit I was looking at. The one I used JUST fit. Barely. So anything from 4” up is going to be a tough fit.