Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  New Sound System

New Sound System

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1691
replies 13
following 4

westtexasboy1183   +1y
Hey yall, once I get my truck I plan on upgrading my sound system first cuz about 75% of my life revolves round music. There are also a few roadtrips in the near future and the current set up aint gonna cut it. (factory system in poor/fair condition). Therefore, I have a few ideas, but beins that I dont actually have the truck to take a look at it I dont know how much play I have here.
Its a 87' standard cab, 5 speed.
I want subs, deck, tweeters and mid range speakers (or one "complete unit" where the tweeter and mid are in one speaker), amp, and box.
As previously stated I have a couple ideas but dont know what to do. Im 6'1 so I cant sacrifice too much legroom. Im also clueless as to what to buy/install/upgrade first.
All ideas are welcome as are any tips on needed/preffered modifications to anythin on the truck to fit the system.
I listen to country, metal, dubstep, a bit of rap, rock, irish folk, 50s and 60s, and sometimes reggae.
Post away yall!!
mark2.0   +1y
I am partial to Alpine head units. Just installed a CDE-137BT Alpine. Sweet unit. Also replaced my front 4" speakers with Alpine 4" type S two-way speakers with added passive crossovers. In your standard cab, I think there are 4" speakers behind the seat belts. I would leave those unhooked and maybe check in to Bazooka Tubes. They make 6" and 8" tubes that shouldn't take up too much room behind the seat. Both sizes come powered and passive. Passive gives you the advantage of having your own separate amp. I'm partial to Rockford Fosgate equipment for amps. You may also want a crossover to help separate the frequencies. Clarion makes a pretty good one for in-dash mount and one that goes under your seat. Hope this helps. Good luck with the upgrade. Welcome to the club.
westtexasboy1183   +1y
Hmm thanks, although I dont really care too much fer the bass "tubes" Im partial to the boxes and such. Also I was kinda tryin to find a way to put a box, or two seperate boxes with subs behind my bench seat and put the amp in the middle of the subs.
mark2.0   +1y
If you find a sub that you can squeeze into a box and it sounds good and you don't lose any leg room, please let me know. No sarcasm intended. And I'm thinking 10" or bigger. Some 8"s are pretty good, but you still don't get the drop you get with a 12" or 15".
jenko   +1y

BOOM! job done
westtexasboy1183   +1y
Jenko, Thats a great example.. Except I aint wantin to go the blowthrough route. Good effort though! Im tryin hard to find a 8"-12" sub or two that will fit behind the seat with minimal leg room deletion.
bain   +1y
What about something like this? I was planning on doing two small boxes at the floor behind the seat. They only need .24 cubic feet of volume and have a huge x=max (cone excursion) for their size and will hit down to 45Hz. Plus with the low amount of power consumption 80W x 2 you could run a small amp with very little current pull from your alternator, and the amp would likely be cheap considering the low wattage.

In action you see the amount of SPL they can create.
westtexasboy1183   +1y
Hmm, sounds good in perspective. An it would prolly be jus what I need if I was a bit more.. conservative with my volume control. Almost everythin I listen to is loud, Im jus a loud person. As such I like my music to be loud, an from what I read this little sub wouldnt be able to hack it if I decided to drop the bass with somethin like Basshead or somethin, nor would I be too happy if I was gettin the clean bass I wanted durin the breakdown of a metal song and it died.
bain   +1y
The smaller speakers would be faster, and IMO better for metal large speakers always sound muddy to me unless your listening to reggae, jazz or hip hop or other slow bass. You could always go for 4 or 6 in a ported box!
jenko   +1y
Depends on the metal...
Bit of bass never went astray with some death metal... and even more so with melodic death metal
or if you still have some 90's cds nu metal was nearly designed to go with a sub!

just to dissimulate the thread a little. lol.
dissimulate... hmmm.... yes, it works, which word was I actually after... meh.

I've seen 2 10's above one another between the seats with an enclosure stretching either side behind the seats but can't find the link