threads
Page 3 of 4
Mazda Audio \  "stock" center console or cup holder?

"stock" center console or cup holder?

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 8842
replies 31
following 8

supratreo   +1y
Great thanks. If you get the chance can you check it for part numbers please. I know Toyota molds the p/n into most plastic parts. This would make it 100x easier to find for me and anyone else interested. P/n most likely is a set of 10-12 numbers and letters. ( #####-##b##)
anguswilly   +1y
Haha, I just got quoted $125 for a B2600 console from a place in Marysville WA!

Couldn't hang up fast enough.
Cusser   +1y
My 1988 B2200 doesn't have a cupholder (the two round indentations in the glove box door do not count, cannot use those while driving), and I only occasionally take something to drink while driving it. However, there are times when cup holder would be nice.

For a while, I had a single cupholder screwed into the center hump, but once I found a nice hump console in the parts yard, I didn't want to bastardize that by drilling into it. So I decided to make a cupholder this morning that would not compromise the integrity of the hump console, and I took photos as taught by Axel Breaker Earl.

Before starting
thread post photo

I made a template from a piece of cardboard for the recess size, and for the angle, and made bevel cuts on my table saw from a piece of plywood I had lying around.
thread post photo

It fit right in
thread post photo

I made a top piece from the same scrap of 3/4 inch plywood, 9.0 inches long and 7.5 inches wide at the top side and 6 inches wide at the rear. I sanded it with my orbital sander using whatever grade sandpaper was already installed in it. I used 4 wood screws to attach the recess part into the bottom of the top platform. I used two little pieces of spacer wood, because I cut the bottom part out of 3/4 inch wood because I didn't have anything that was really 1.0 inch wide.
thread post photo

I bought two cupholders at O'Reillys, $1.39 each. I cut off the hook that was designed to fit into a window and the weatherstripping, here shows one intact and one cut, 15 seconds with hacksaw.
thread post photo

I drilled two small holes in the bottom of each cupholder, and screwed onto the top platform with 2 small wood screws each.
thread post photo

It looked good, so I removed the cupholders, stained it golden oak, and reinstalled the cupholders.
thread post photo

So basically, I can grab this cupholder from the Cab Plus rear area, place on top of the hump console and thereby have secure cupholders. And without damaging the hump console, and no modifications to the console at all.

Parts:
piece of scrap plywood
4 wood screws to attach bottom recess plate to the underside of the top surface
4 small screws to attach cup holders
2 cup holders
supratreo   +1y
very nice, i still need a center console to be able to do that tho. haha
Cusser   +1y
Actually, not sure that $125 was that high a price for a complete Mazda truck console. I was lucky, I passed on an incomplete, cracked one and a few months later a perfect one appeared at the parts yard, and only $17 there. For sure I'll grab another one if I find it.
supratreo   +1y
well if you find one in grey i will def. take it off your hands.
lsumazdarider   +1y
U can take a piece of 2x4 the size of your ash tray get auto zone cup holds turn your ash tray spot in to a cup holder had a friend do that once

I paid 37 for the console in my 5 speed 25 for the one in my auto the 5 speed console an auto console are different I can't post pic can someone post pic of them for me
supratreo   +1y
i want the OE centerconsole because of the arm rest also. i can't even seem to find a good B in my area let alone one with a center console.
Cusser   +1y
Actually, I find that the factory console is too low to use as an armrest.
supratreo   +1y
really? how tall is it from the carpet?