Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  Little project idea starting tomorrow, tailgate

Little project idea starting tomorrow, tailgate

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 2100
replies 11
following 3

xxchromeghostxx   +1y
I'll have pics up tomorrow and taken as I go, i currently have a better tailgate ( green lmao) on my red truck, i still have the tailgate that came off of it, beaten and dented from just years of being a tailgate, tough times in that hood i suppose.

But I have an idea i've seen on a few minitrucks where they have fabbed the tailgate a little to accomodate placing license plates that are sunken in or even sinking taillights into the tailgate.

Now that this is the original tailgate, if i can take and straighten out all the dents and etc in it, none to bad or creased to bad, so i'm gonna just take a go at straightening it out, if so i'm gonna set it aside and take the current one off and try the license plate idea with it. Also since it is just a spare gate at that point ( whichever i decide to frankenstein with ) I'm going to go for the stock tail lights off the B ( once i find another set of junk yard or even semi busted ones ) just to work with, yes i understand they are rounded, but this can be fixed i have saws, many saws lol. but if not then before i even try to fab a spot for lights find a set at a junkyard i could work with, lot of old classic junkers here, i could possibly find some old chevy or ford coupe tail lights the smaller circular styles, just sink them in a bit and fab a spot to hold the factory wiring kit in place, alongside the lights of course lol. But i just think it'd be neat, anyone have ideas comments for optional tail lights i could look for?

Yes I know i wont be able to lower my tailgate after i do this, but well shit happens an handles get shaved eventually.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Okay here's just a few pics, one is just curious if anyone may know what type of rims these are, they look good on the truck I think, they're 14's i don't really wanna change them just curious if they may be stock or what? and i want some wider tires on my truck may go with some 65's instead of 75's next time.

thread post photo

Now for the tailgates i'll be working with

thread post photo

this is one currently on my truck, the other is in my storage shed, but dont the green just make the red go bazinga!
lsumazdarider   +1y
Factory Nissan hardbody rims I've got 3 sets of tail lights two factory one altez here my number I can texted u the pics of the lights 864-569-4551 make offer plus shipping
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Thanks LsuMazdaRider, i like the way the rims look on the truck and doubt i'll be changing them lol, but also i may be giving you a ring for a set of those altez's if can get a price worked out look forward dealin wit ya at some point.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
thread post photo

well here is the damaged tailgate, going to completely cut the back brackets out just to smooth it out an have a nice place to practice how i wish to sink the lights and license plate in, plus the extra scraps i can use to help fab the good tailgate so no real loss.
spacemonkee23   +1y
thread post photo

Make these fit into your tail gate!
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
that would be a dirty light setup, if it was practical and not an arm and leg for a light like that i would.
spacemonkee23   +1y
old-school California special mustang tails???

thread post photo
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Ohh kinda the direction I was going actually, just gotta find a junked mustang around, if someone has one they wont part it out round here lol. but a few in local junkyards, may even go with the camaro lights like that off the 69's
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Just a little update, have found a few taillights i'm thinking of trying, one is a set off of a ewer caddy car, thin elongated rear taillights, think of setting them

\ / like that in the tailgate as if it's winking at you lol, or I have also found a 70's camaro with the full round rear taillight housing and are in decent shape,

Cons: 80$ for the caddy taillights wtf man really ya unkyard geee

No wiring for the camaro taillights, also slightly over used alongside the corvette tails in minitrucks

Pros: Caddy has full bracket and assembley with a little wiring i can take, excellent shape, very different an unique. could also buy two sets of these as the junkyad has two of them side by side. splice into my wiring for the taillight or ust run one set for brake lights only with all bulbs in them spliced from the brake light itself, and the second set be my blinkers, could lay this along the bottom of the tailgate horizontal opposed to the say 45 degree agle of the brake lights, would be a very neat look at night, would be shaving the tailgate at that point.

Camaro is very nice and easy install, just full plate with two light housings in it, very little fabrication/sealing, required. Kinda goes to a throwback style and nostalgic feel with the older model of the truck.

I didn't think to take pictures of them sorry for that but i think i found out what's gonna happen now