threads
Page 1 of 3
Mazda Lowering Static \  Need help lowering my Mazda (more)

Need help lowering my Mazda (more)

Mazda Lowering Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 3044
replies 20
following 8

thatmazdakid   +1y
My 89 is my new baby, bought her lowered. The problem is I want lower! she sits a little high for my liking. The other thing is I don't know what the best options would be to get her lower. That is where you come to the rescue. I want to achieve a really low stance, so the lower the better. I don't have a big budget so please keep that in mind. I really just want input on how i should get this baby lower. Thanks for the help!
fdugn545   +1y
On the front you could reindex the torsion bars a bit more (1 or 2 clicks) and in the rear you can remove a leaf or two, but keep in mind you lose some ride quality (in the rear mostly) when doing so. Also remove your bumpstops in the front when doing so so you don't bottom out and buy some shorter Isuzu pup shocks for the front. Outside of buying the shocks it's free. You can also flip your lower ball joints and get a little bit in front.

Unless of course u want bags, but that ain't cheap... Lol I've been fighting to get all my air ride parts for a while now

Fred

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
dgtllvr   +1y
Yeah you can do the ball joints and bump stops in the front. Shorter shocks aren't too expensive.

You already have 2" blocks, you can go to 4" blocks cheap and keep some ride quality, but have some axle wrap. Or you can remove some springs and reduce the ride quality and carrying capability. You can semi compensate with some air shocks.

If you're going to do the lower ball joints, you can get replacement ones pretty cheap on rockauto or ebay. Same with the shocks. But from the pics it looks like you might have some small fractures in your front discs, check into that before you spend money anywhere. Pads and rotors are cheap and gives you a reason to re-grease the bearings.

What kind of miles does it have? Are you worried about ride quality?
thatmazdakid   +1y

Thanks! They are 3" blocks in the back,but i dont want the warp of 4" so i think i will leave that and just remove some springs. Maybe add this?
I will look into the front brake also. still not 100% sure what i should do with the front to lower her a little more. The miles on the body is about 175,000 and the engine has about 7000 rebuilt. I am not to concerned about ride quality also. I appreciate the help! thanks!!
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Look up how to.re index torsion bars andthats your front lower,

Also for those viewing maybe a newb question but what is axle wrap?
thatmazdakid   +1y

Just re-indexed the front by two. Love the result already. I will post pics tomorrow. I want to go to three clicks but I have no idea how to remove the bump stops (dont even know what they are). In the back what springs should I remove, and how? I appreciate your help, THANKS!
fdugn545   +1y
They are in top of the lower control arm, the just bolt in. U may want to cut-out the bumostop mint as well, and like I said before get shorter shocks. If u don't u will max out your shocks and if u hit a hard enough bump you can bend (or break) your upper shock mount

thatmazdakid   +1y

What size shocks do you recommend? The previous owner said these shocks were already shorter than stock but im not sure how much shorter.
fdugn545   +1y
Isuzu pup shock early 90s

dgtllvr   +1y
I just grabbed a set of Gabriel air shocks from Amazon (I have a prime membership). $60.99 shipped 2 day.

You remove the middle leaves. The long one is obviously your main, the lowest one is your overload, you'll notice the ends of it aren't touching the rest of the spring pack.

Axle Wrap is when you accelerate and your axle wants to roll over itself. You see it mostly on vehicles with leaf springs and blocks. The taller the block, the more force you'll apply to twisting the leaf. This can break the block, the leaf, your pinion, u-joints.. All sorts of bad stuff. It's not a good thing and unless you add a link to your suspension or go to a 4-link set up there isn't much you can do about it except not accelerate.