Page 1 of 4
General Discussion \  Could somebody explain the trim packages? LX / SE5

Could somebody explain the trim packages? LX / SE5

General Discussion
views 14257
replies 33
following 19

ryan_b2k   +1y
I have an 86 SE5. I know there was a "base" and "lx" in addition to the "se5" trim. My question is what are the differences in the trims? Was SE5 the highest and if so, what does it get you over the base and lx models?
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
There was also a LE5 also.
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
I belive that the LX was the highest trim package. My 86 standard cab LX had the following options: power steering, A/C, tilt steering, cruise control, casette player w/ graphic equalizer, tach cluster, locking glove box, center console, inside fuel door release,full wrap map pocket door panels, chrome inside door handles, B pillar plastic panels, carpet back wall, bucket seats, driver seat had lumbar and another handle on the side, chrome outside door and tailgate handles, small stainless fender trim, stainless strip on top of front bumper, chrome rear bumper, chrome around tail lights, chrome around drip gutters, chrome wheels. I think thats it but I could be forgetting something. I kinda regret cutting it up, I should of kept it stock and chopped up a base model truck. Oh well it was my first B series and I was excited to bag it!!
ryan_b2k   +1y
yeah thats a lot more hooked up than mine. My SE5 has A/C, plastic B pillar, bench seat, manual everything, which begs the question, what does my truck have over a base model?
baggd   +1y
I don't know but Dave's truck had everything.
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
^^Yeah, to the best of my knowledge my truck had all the US options. I will try to see if I still have pics of it when it was all stock. It was my first mazda so I had no idea most of the options were rare.
badchicn (rick)   +1y
The SE-5 was Mazdas "sport" package. Blacked out trim, power steering, tach, ABS and "custom" vinyal stripes. I think thats it. It was basicly the base with blacked out trim.
low down89   +1y
mine is an se 5 but it soesent have power steering
crazymikey   +1y
My 1989 SE5 had a bench seat, no power steering, no AC, no ABS, elephant ear mirrors, 2 spoke steering wheel, black bumpers, grey grille, 14" steel spoked rims. I can't verify if they were white or black from the factory as they were black when I bought the truck,but my spare was white. Also had regular door panels, no tach, AM/FM radio, 2 speakers.

Bone stock:
thread post photo

thread post photo

My 1988 ext cab had no AC, but had power steering and rear ABS. It had a 2 spoke wheel, 4 speakers, all the way up door panels, no tach, 14" stamped steel rims and black bumpers.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

My 1990 B2600i parts truck. Not sure what was original and what wasn't cosmetically as it had new bumpers,fenders,doors and bed. It was an FI 2.6 with power steering but no AC. Had a tach, 3 spoke steering wheel, all the way up door panels with door pockets,sliding rear window and chrome rims, as well as a centre console. This would have been a very nicely equipped truck in it's day. Also had chrome trim tail lights and door handles.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
hocbj23   +1y
LE/LX same package = LX on 1986-1988 (I think) and LE after that.LE/LX had full fabric/vinyl interior with door panels up to the window molding (2 color options gray or tan and maroon for the LX as an option).Chrome around windows,drip moldings and fenders ,door pulls..Full instrument package,upgraded radio/tape combo.Chrome door handles and gate handle.Chromies standard wheel package.PS/PB standard.LE/or LX stripe package.Chrome rear bumper.Buckets standard.Delay wipers.Carpeted floor mats.ash tray lite.abs
OMG handles.
SE-5 was blacked out in the places the LE/LX had exterior chrome.Same basic interior except some Se's didnt have the carpet on the back of the cab wall.AM-FM (tape optional.)PS/PB standard.Chromies standard.Se-5 stripe package.Buckets standard.Delay wipers.,carpeted floor mats.abs.OMG handles.Black step rear bumper.

Base truck.All vinyl interior.Bench seat (buckets optional).Steel wheels (chromies optional) .Am radio.(upgrades dealer installed.) .PS/PB optional.No exterior decoration at all.vinyl door panels not all the way up door.No wiper delay-3 speed only.vinyl floor mats.No OMG handles.No rear bumper-black "bump stops" only.No tach.

Options list:(ithink this is complete).6 spoke alloy wheels on LE/LX/Se-5. Tilt,cruise,automatic (not sure if this was available on base trucks or not),pb,ps, delay wipers on base truck.up graded radios.buckets on base truck. Washers for the headlites on Euro models only-not USA.I have a set on my truck.