Page 7 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 78133
replies 193
following 33

john-e bravada   +1y
No, my engine and trans are almost horizontal so the drain plug is flush with the bottom of the crossmember and the front of the pan is ~3/4" off the top. If I get my clutch together tonight I'll be stabbing the drivetrain back in. I'll try and get some pics.
john-e bravada   +1y
Well I ran into some snags putting the drive train back together. I spent 2.5hrs grinding down the SAE #2 flywheel housing to make more clearance in the tunnel, mounted it and the flywheel to the motor. Onto the clutch, without an alignment tool for a 14" big truck trans I pulled the input shaft off the trans. When I got it loose I heard parts dropping into the bottom of the trans.... the input shaft to main shaft bearing cage had been ground to pieces and when I pulled the shaft loose all the taper rollers dropped. At that point I knew I wasn't going to be slapping the drive train in and trying it all out before resealing the motor and converting the trans to an OD. Now I need to blow the trans completely apart and inspect all the bearings and make a complete list of all the parts I need. I'll be a couple more weeks cleaning up the drive train, painting and regasketing everything. Oh well I didn't want to drive it anyway:(

The gears in this trans are Beefy and the 14" clutch should take a beating!
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I've been lacking motivation therefore progress lately. I did get the main and counter shafts rebuild and the OD gears put on. I found a bad syncro so I pumped more money into the trans. I think I'm done buying parts for it now on to the motor. I drug it out into the driveway the other day and gave it a bath. Time to tear it down and regasket it, it had oil everywhere!

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
I can't stand it any longer; I can't have a truck with a dudes name.... I changed the thread title. She's now The Fat Girl! I have just the mascot for her.
thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
It took a while but I finally have the trans rebuilt and the motor cleaned and assembled. I spray bombed the combo last night.... Every once and a while I remind myself why I don't paint. Now to put it back in and start getting it hooked up for her 1st drive.

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
After finishing up the frame welding under the cab and motor, the drive train went back in for what feels like the 100th time. You would think I'd be good at stabbing this thing in by now.... Ever since I built the motor mounts and trans mounts it's been a bear. I think I'm going to rework the trans mounts to make engine installs easier. With the motor in I could finally check my oil pan to drop tie rod clearance. I have ~7/8" to the cross member and 1" to the tie rod. Perfect!

thread post photo

Then clearance is really tough to get a shot of.

thread post photo
xflowgolf   +1y
My dream swap as well. Looking good, keep the updates coming.
john-e bravada   +1y
Thanks Nick!

I've been hitting it pretty hard this week. Got the core support modded for the 4th time. The CAC and RAD now have their new home. I have both CAC lines fabbed and the upper RAD hose worked. PS pump is plumbed and the front clip is back on. It is starting to look like a truck again. I trimmed the inside of the fender for tire clearance. My line lock and brake line showed up today so maybe I'll work on that tonight. They would be nice to have:)

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
Well I finished welding the trans mounts last night and started cutting the floor for the drive shaft. Turns out it runs over the floor for most of it's run

thread post photo

thread post photo
luifer76   +1y
looking good bro....