Page 18 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 78135
replies 193
following 33

bigbeardedbastard   +1y
looking good! and yeah i think a mitre'd tip would look good on it.
watahyahknow   +1y
one of those engine stethoscopes are real handy in listening where the knocking sound is comming from

too bad you dont have the older style nose on the trucki
there was a topic on another truckforum that said that the newer jeep headlights are straight replacements , there clear headlights with a better beam there only a bit more builbuous looking

not quite sure wish exact partnumber they used

maibe you could put a front from a suburban on it there the last grilles made in that series should have a little better lights
john-e bravada   +1y
I have a 77' Chevy plow truck but the front clip is too far gone to swap. I thought about it though. I like that body style.

The knock is under load at higher rpms so I couldn't diagnose it idling in the shop. We got the motor pulled last night so I'll pull the head and see if I have a piston slapping or a rod loose. I also have a bunch of oil leaking from #5 so I'm thinking scored cyl that took out the rings but I'm not getting fuel in the oil so I'm not sure yet. Time will tell.
watahyahknow   +1y
maibe a broken ring or ringland on that piston
iarodder   +1y
Glad you got it rollin, I'm headed to Dubuque this weekend for Vintage Torquefest. I'm pullin out Sat. a.m. at sun up, stayin the night. But were takin the '49, the road grader isn't exactly VTF material if you know what I mean....lol again glad you got it goin.
john-e bravada   +1y
I have a couple buddies headed up there this weekend for Torquefest. I want to go but I have the house to myself so I'll be in the shop all weekend. I can't pass up a free shop weekend to go get ideas about other projects I'd like to do. Have fun!

I pulled the head last night and o-ringed the block. It went pretty smooth... I dropped a piece of a .025" feeler into the oil passage and then the end came off my magnet trying to get it out. So now I have some more disassembly to do. I didn't find a smoking gun for my knocking issue. The pistons are pretty loose in the bores so I'll pull the pan to get the feeler gauge piece out, check the bearings, and pop a piston out to check the bore clearance and skirts.

thread post photo

thread post photo
comegetsome   +1y
I feel your pain....I was putting the distributor in my 468 in my 82 RCSB....minutes away from first crank up.....knock a 12mm socket off the wiper cowl and into the hole.....had to stop what i was doing and pull the oil pan off....it sucks but it happens....maybe you will get her figured out
watahyahknow   +1y
dropped a sparkplug socket inside the cowling of an aircooled engine
that was fun too aspecially as the bottom part of the engine was build intoo the object so tightly
managed to grab the socket with a long plier and just before i got it out the sparkplug fell out of it a simple half hour small service took allmost a day

how did you do that O-ring grooving with the engine in place , never seen how thats done or wat tool they use for it , i immagine they center it inside the bore but other than that....
john-e bravada   +1y
Isky Racing makes the tool. It pilots in the bore and you adjust the Dia and depth of you groove cut. " target="_blank
watahyahknow   +1y
thanks for the link , handy tool should work on all engines where you can get to the cylinder