Page 17 of 20
Dually Projects \  The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

The Fat Girl 86', C30, 3+3, dually, bagged, SFBDed on 22.5"s

Dually Projects
views 78134
replies 193
following 33

john-e bravada   +1y
The foam is to isolate the MLV from the vibrating panel not just for the soft comfy feel, although it does that too:) Adding mass does affectively change the frequency of the vibrating panel but the amount of mass you would have to add far out weights the benefits. That's why DB drag guys fill their frames and floor with concrete. They don't care about anything other then vibration dampening.

The fire wall is going to be the big one for me. I get allot of noise thru there. I think getting a hood on it will also help a LOT!
david&goliath   +1y
I just wish I had shop to put my Goliath in. Damn starter went out 3 times in one weekend so where it died in the yard is where I decided to tear the front down to bag it. Thanks for your detailed info it helps alot! I bought 2" cups from thorbeckebro.com and will use them for now. I want to run ss8's up front so I will do as you did and run the 10" cup just to over kill it to guarantee I will never touch anything with the bags. Again thanks for the details.
david&goliath   +1y
Do you have a video of this thing running or even moving? It would be awesome to see. I'm in va, so I doubt I will ever see it in person.
john-e bravada   +1y
I'm glad it's helping. I live for build threads and the sharing of information.

No videos yet. I need to get a burnout video.

Well I got the new shock mounts done. Not my prettiest work but we'll see if it works before I clean them up anymore. I also got the tank finished and painted. I primed and painted it black and under coated the front and back because they will see the most abuse. The bottom will also be primed and undercoated once it's installed.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john-e bravada   +1y
The trans tunnel looks even bigger painted:)
thread post photo

thread post photo

I seam sealed it and the firewall last night. I guess I'm ready for sound deadening now.

Here's the tanks painted and prepped to go in. I'll have it in tonight if all goes well.
thread post photo

Since I might have a tow this weekend I made the rear receiver and cut the roll pan to fit. I still need to clean up the hole and get some paint on it. I also made a license plate mount. It used to be sheet metal screwed to the tailgate without lights so I'm marking this in the striving to be more legal column.
thread post photo
watahyahknow   +1y
looks like a interior enginecover from a small van might fit nicely over the transtunnel , would save you on having to make custom cupholders leather or carpet covering and stuff
john-e bravada   +1y
It's allot quieter with the tunnel finished and the seams sealed. Tonight I'll be putting sound deadener in.

After another night of thrashing away on her I got her back on the road. I only had 3-4gal of diesel in the shop so with that little in the 36gal tank it died twice trying to get to the gas station but I did get there. There were a couple pretty long hills on the way.
After 14mo without a hood I finished the exhaust last night and put the hood back on. I was thrilled that it fit without modification! My make shift air box hits a little but not enough to worry about. Once I build inner fenders I will not need it anyway. Here she is out in the sun light.
thread post photo

thread post photo

The stack is a little long and I think I want to miter cut it but better to leave it long then cut it too short.
75dually   +1y
John - That thing looks killer! What a cool ride.
watahyahknow   +1y

good thing you made it then . i once had to push a S10 up the hill and it wasnt funny , a dually wouldnt even move forwarth if youre lucky enough to keep it on the hill in the first place with the brakes off

think a angled cut on the stack would look nice
john-e bravada   +1y
Wow, it's been a while since I updated this. The weekend after I got the hood on we took her up to Dubuque for the weekend. She turned allot of heads along the way! The drive up was great but the drive back in the pouring rain was not good. I thought Momma was never going to ride in her again. It was dark and raining cats and dogs so with 80's technologies headlights, poorly aimed, and no defrost I had a hard time seeing the road in front of me. I got us home but it was white knuckled all the way. The Fat Girl was dancing the whole way!
thread post photo

This was to be a shake down run and it definitely generated a list of must fixes. I've only gotten to a few but I have plans in the works for the rest. I did get 3 point rear harnesses in, a new recline lever for her seat made, better lights purchased, wiring for headlight relays, and 4 high.
thread post photo

The motor is coming out tonight to finish the trans tunnel and paint on my homemade lizard skin and some undercoating. That will be the 1st layer of sound/thermal insulation.

The motor has made a knocking sound since I put it in so I'll swap in my spare and see if it's a Cummins noise or if that motors really hurt. I'm also going to o-ring both motors while they are out and on the floor. The trans also has a leak and potentially a burn 1-2 syncro so it will come a part for inspection as well.

With the hood on I can't tell where the front suspension is sitting, no gauges... So wile I was plumbing in the gauges I added ride height control valves so now all I do is hit an auto switch and it comes up to ride height automatically. All for way less then an electronically controlled system.