Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  cummins swap question

cummins swap question

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 2408
replies 11
following 10

comegetsome   +1y
ok guys my dually has a LS motor in it now but my dad keeps sayin i need to put a 12 valve in it...so i told him i would do alittle research to see if i can find...is there a write up anywhere about where somebody put one in a box chevy dually? and did dodge make a decent automatic to go behind the diesel cause i really dont wanna go to manual...thanks in advance
wide load c-30   +1y

Avalanche Engineering makes a cross member that allows you to drop one in.

destroked.com
mr900f   +1y
There are some write ups over at the pirate4x4 forum showing cummins swaps. You can use a t400 with the adapter that came in bread trucks if I remember correctly.
tutt   +1y
4btswaps.com has alot of builds you can go through.

i think that the avalanche c-member is only for 4wd. tndieselpower.com has some for a 2wd that use the chevy clamshell mounts.

the cheapest option for an auto is to use a dodge. up to 93 had a 727 with OD, but no lockup. 94-95 is a 47rh that is OD and lockup. 96+ is computer controlled.

hope that helps. i have been researching because i plan on doing it one day...
dropd80s   +1y
The 727 may be OD, im not 100% if thats true, but its still a 3 spd. The trucks that came with the the 727 had really tall gears. 3.08s usually. Dodge even used the obscure DANA61 in the front of the 4WD trucks with the 727 so they could run such a tall gear to maintain hwy speed. My brother bought an 83 CC chevy with a cummins and a 727 behind it. It still had the stock 4.11 rear and would only do about 55-60 mph at redline in top gear. I have a 93 12V and 5 spd manual getrag waiting to go in my SFBD crew. A few things to mention before you go balls deep on a cummins. The motor it self is about 1200lbs. and the drain plug to valve cover (not including the intake elbow) is about 31- 32". So keeping it under a stock hood with a BD is not as easy as buying some mounts and tossing it in. Im not sure a cowl alone would do it either. I'm not saying it can't be done, because I plan on doing it myself, but it will take quite a bit of work, esp. in a bd truck. I will have pics of my install if I can ever get started on her.
five-point-nine   +1y
727 is 3 speed only. The A518 O/D was offered around late 91 along with intercoolers. The 727 is basically mechanical, 518 u need to wire a toggle for the overdrive. hope this helps.
1fastlx   +1y
machine shop here in town made an adapter for an allison to go behind a cummings and the customer never payed for it, If you are interested I will see if they still have it. It was bolted to the allison in their store room.
comegetsome   +1y
After lookin at pics the install looks easy enough but the fast that the motor would be 5 to 6 inches over my wiper cowl changed my mind real fast...maybe my next dually will only be lowered and begging for a cummins
ak?s-r-us   +1y
since i have done a bunch of cummins swaps, and will be doing one on my 96 shortly.... i can probably give some advice....only covering the install...performancewise i say check your fav diesel forum

the height is the major issue, the dodge tuck oil pans are the shallowest, so you can get it as close to the crossmember as possible, but it will still need some modification in the sump area, which means the pick-up tub will need work. mounts are cake, the easiest are the 2nd gen dodge side mounts, where you just need to build 2 ears up off the crossmember on each side.

transmissions have been covered, i have used destroked.com adapters with a 4l80es, a breadtruck adapter/th400, and my current project im just keeping the non-lock-up a518.

fitting it into a bd truck would be very "challenging", i can get any measurments anybody needs if they are contemplating this.
kezark31   +1y
do it! dont be scurr'ed!