threads
Page 1 of 2
Dually Engine \  ENGINE PERFORMANCE UPGRADES?

ENGINE PERFORMANCE UPGRADES?

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1689
replies 12
following 5

tuckin22   +1y
What are you guys opinions? Pros and cons...

On wether you do:
internal mods like the cam, pistons, lifters, etc.. what ever else could be done...

Or a bolt on supercharger I think the only one left is from procharger...

Or do both...

Or just leave it alone haha...

I wanted to here what you guys have to say about it. Was thinkin about doing one thing then that leads to another and another. So was just curious as to what yall would do or what yall have done.

By the way Im talking about the '96-'00 bigblocks

Or then there is the swap in a diesel thing as well.

Thanks
Robert
krewzlo   +1y
I have always wondered the same, but never will have cash to do it so stock it stays. Would love to transplant a diesel in it, but if I was going to do it, it would be a duramax, and not thinking it would fit well on a bodied shitbox.
psylent   +1y
Swap diesel... 20 MPG is the only way to go not to mention plenty of towing power. Some guys on the 4bt forums are taking about getting 27 MPG with a manual transmission. Did I mention the longevity of these engines 500 and 600 thousand miles with proper maintenance? It is just about the only upgrade feasible that will pay for it self over time!
tuckin22   +1y
Haha I hear ya on that.

dont think I would do a cummins like you always see..

But I have seen this one guy on youtube do a DD in a 1500 sounds sick and looks cool..
getsum   +1y
Depends what kinda performance you want....
Towing: Diesel
Faster/Quicker: Heads, cam, crank, blower, turbo, spray.
Depends what you are looking for and how much you have to spend....
psylent   +1y

I am not entirely disagreeing, but I have seen some diesel trucks moving down the track~!
getsum   +1y

I agree 100%, but that's not where a diesels strength traditionally lies. Torque gets shit movin, horsepower keeps it movin....
brianbgboy   +1y
hey bro, go here and read on! tons of info on the vortec 454's. i am running a kit from summit with cam, lifters and the adjustible timing chain. had it reprogrammed, and added the bigger lt-1 injectors. it does decent on mileage for a big sled, but now has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy more power than stock. gm cut the cam shitty and it kills the power on them.... later, brian
tuckin22   +1y
holy geeeeezzz that is a lot of info.... i could sit there for days and still wouldnt read all of it... haha
it seems that they are kinda saying the same as what you got.... more or less...
which kit is it that you have i see that there are a few on the summit site.
and who did you use for the tune? wait4me?
just curious..

Thanks
Robert
brianbgboy   +1y
yep! i have a wait4me tune. not sure on the part number of the kit from summit. it was a little over 900 bucks though... the kit,ls-1 injectors, headers with cats removed, 3" exaust all the way back to magnaflow mufflers and it is a new truck! i pull a 3 car hauler loaded down with no problem. before the mods, the 454 was a dead dog....