Page 2 of 2
Dually Engine \  A/C

A/C

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1892
replies 14
following 4

lmdguy   +1y
all data said there was a issue with resistors so Im getting a new $15.00 also the ground wire on the blower is super small and some of the wire look broke so Im goin to add a new ground wire and see if that helps.
98crewcab   +1y
Lots of good info here....Another A/C question, My 1998 dually is on its 3rd OEM compressor and its leaking again (belly leaker) and its out of warranty from the dealer, any good after market one you would recommend.
thanks in advance.
lmdguy   +1y
I work at a dealership on the back counter. Iv been using the NAPA ac kit with no issues. It been about 2 years since the first one we did and never had one come back, make sure you get the kit with new compressor.
lmdguy   +1y
ok I repair the melted wires in the ac harness and added a thicker ground wire from the blower motor directly to the truck..... no more hot wires and the blower motor blows harder then ever =)
someotherguy   +1y
Rockin'...good to hear yours is working right again.

98crewcab - your compressor is a type known for leaking at the seam where the two case halves meet. Very bad about it. Believe it or not I heard from one guy that cleaned the shit out of his and JB-welded it, and so far it has lasted through a whole season. If you're going to replace it, you might check out alternative models that are supposed to be better than the Sanden style, like the Seltec Valeo you can get from ackits.com.

I just fixed up the A/C on my '94 C2500LD, original 16 year old compressor was leaking at the front seal, slowly letting the 134 out but also letting oil out. It used to hold a charge for about a year, or long enough to last through the hot weather, but this time around it lasted maybe 2 months so I said screwit and put in work.

NAPA Cold Temp compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube - lists for like $289 but was $200 at my cost. Wasn't real impressed with the o-rings that came with the accumulator, kind of a loose fit, but they seem to be holding. They amazingly didn't have the o-ring that goes on the line for the orifice; the guy kept trying to give me the little one that actually goes on the orifice itself - a new orifice comes with one already installed so who knows.

Got it sucked down and charged up, cold as ice now, though it kinda bothered me that it tripped into recirculate mode while I idled at a stuck red light in a pack of lemmings for about 10 minutes. Went back to normal after I got moving again for a few seconds...but seemed out of character. It was maybe 93F and 70% or more humidity at the time so Idunno, not an A/C expert. But it makes me doubt the new pressure switch I installed in the back of the compressor.

Richard