threads
Page 2 of 3
Dually Engine \  Transmission Question...

Transmission Question...

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 1995
replies 21
following 6

jcampbell1180   +1y
Since we're talking trannys (transmissions, not transvestites, Cowboy), I'm thinking about putting an o/d in mine.

What trans do you guys recommend?
raymondsage   +1y
Pretty sure.... its an 89 with the original tranny and it does have overdrive. But how can i really tell. Does it make a difference?
skidrow   +1y
ya one has a tv cable one is fully eletronic

allso i like 700r4s i have one in my dually with the 502 and i have one in a toy with a sb 400 if you biuld them right thay will live to about 700 hp after that thay brake the input shaft but for like 500 bux you can buy a hardend one from rapter trans that will take more

now if you have the $$$ a 4l80e the way to go but you have to run a stand alon puter and thats 500 buxs but will stand up to 1200 hp stock its a 400 with and od added really
raymondsage   +1y
yea its just a all stock daily driver... so is there and other test i can do to find out if it is indeed bad?
bowtiecowboy   +1y

Thanks for makin that clear...
jcampbell1180   +1y
Just didn't want you to get all excited and ruin another keyboard.
skidrow   +1y
umm need to know if thars a large plug of wires on the pass side if so its a 4l60e
skidrow   +1y
THM 4L60 (700-R4) 4-3 NEUTRAL Neutralizes on a 4-3 part throttle or full throttle downshift. Defective forward sprag or assembly. Check inner and outer race for wear or cracks, if good, change sprag.
skidrow   +1y
Date: Mon Oct 17 16:25:01 PDT 2005
Subject: 4L60E, 3-4 shift goes to neutral
Vehicle: 1997 gmc sonoma
Posted Fix: 2-3 shift valve stuck half way in bore.
Problem / Fix: The vehicle came in with no 3rd and goes to neutral in 4th. Totally rebuilt it with new solenoids and installed. Same problem. The builder missed the stuck 2-3 valve. The fix was to remove the VB and free the 2-3 shift valve. Also had the code P0 756. Thanks AL Noor
skidrow   +1y
Wed Aug 20 05:56:18 PDT 1997
Model : 4l60e
Vehicle Description : 1995 chevy truck
Repairs Attempted : truck has a good 1-2 shift. but does not try to go 2-3 or 3-4 . It does not slip and It feels just like you have It in manual 2nd In as it has engine braking when you let of the gas. checked and replaced all solenoids checked valvebody and gskts.I also tried unhooking the solenoid connector which should have put truck in 3rd gear only but had 2nd and reverse only. I think the band must not be releasing but can find no problems. any Ideas would be great.
jeff dodd

RESPONSES;

Wed Aug 20 20:12:24 PDT 1997
Jeff,
Going by what you are talking about, I would say the coast clutches are stuck on. It sounds like the drum is stacked incorrectly or one of the rings is allowing the coast clutches to be applied.
Has the unit been rebuilt???
How about a pressure test, or codes? If the unit will not go to third even with the harness disconnected, it sounds like the coast clutches are keeping the third clutches from applying. By a bind in the lower portion of the drum. Definite mechanical failure. Yogi

Wed Aug 20 21:57:18 PDT 1997
Jeff,
You don't mention scanning for codes. This unit can default to 2nd gear, especially with a VSS problem. You may also have a problem with the release side of the 2nd gear hydraulics, servo outer seal, capsule in servo cavity.
hope this helps,
Ron Widing
Widco Transmissions
Griffith, IN

Fri Aug 22 05:55:50 PDT 1997
jeff,
there are 9 different legngth apply servo, we think your on the right track.
Fred

Fri Aug 22 06:13:54 PDT 1997
First I would see if first gear is being commanded by the computer. If it is, then then the servo must be charged or the band cannot release mechanically.
Possibilities could be a stuck 1-2 shift valve, band apply pin sticking in bore, cross leak between valve body and case or the air bleed orifice cup plug in the bottom of the servo bore is clogged. By the way, limp mode is 3rd gear for a 4L60E.
Good Luck
Rick Anderson

Fix:

Thu Aug 21 19:55:41 PDT 1997
thanx for all the advise on the 4L60E with no movement in D4 and D3. replaced forward sprag and was able to finish test drive this time.
John