Page 2 of 9
Ford Trucks \  Ford A4LD Automatic Transmission Rebuild Project

Ford A4LD Automatic Transmission Rebuild Project

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 21201
replies 48
following 3

baha   +1y
Cleaner parts ready to go back in, I doubted this was going to fix it so I didn't replace any seals at this time except for the pan gasket. Make sure you get a torque wrench that reads in. pounds. I broke one of the bolts on accident.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
Well reverse did actually feel better but still no forward gears so it was time to pull it out. It was pretty nasty which is the reason I now have a parts washer.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
I did some research online to see how other people were rebuilding their transmission in their garage. I knew doing this in the Kitchen wouldn't work so I just made a temporary bench with some saw horses and a sheet of plywood. I highly recommend having a large work area like this!

I put some scrap pieces around the edges and covered it all in plastic to act like a shallow pan. I got thin plastic which wasn't enough to protect the wood, thicker plastic may have worked better. Here you can see it in use.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
That's about it for now, time to clean the OD assembly and size the center support seals, more catching up on this thread later!
Post was last edited on Jan 13, 2016 08:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
theinternetkid   +1y
Nice write up. The trans for my F100 project has the same issue. I was going to grab a junkyard trans, but after reading this I may rebuild. Did you need any special tools for disassembly or assembly?
baha   +1y
I saw your build, nice work! I would say you could definitely do this. I still have a lot to upload but the rebuild kit was only around $160. They don't give you instructions or really tell you what is what, you sort of have to play the match game but it hasn't been too bad.

For the tools, I need to upload those pics. I made some tools, but other than that you would definitely want to get a pick set. I ended up buying multiple from Harbor Freight for only $1 each. You will need a good set of snap ring pliers and flat head screw drivers that are long.

I'll upload more later but here is an example of what I used to compress the springs on one of the clutch assemblies. Two sockets, scrap piece of 1x1 and a C Clamp. I made a tool to compress the servo springs and also one for measuring for the center hub bearing. Long story short with a little creativity you don't really need any special tools for this.

Before I started I organized the rebuild parts as best I could to make it easier to find what I needed.
post photo
post photo
Post was last edited on Jan 14, 2016 02:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
guilty by design   +1y
I swear rebuilding an automatic trans is the closest thing to brain surgery there is. Good luck
baha   +1y
Thanks! I need it.

Got woken up for work figured I might as well update some more while I try to get tired again so I can go back to sleep.

Tear down pics, leakage from the pump, not sure if you can tell from the pictures. One of the problems.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
more photos
post photo