Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  windshield wiper problems

windshield wiper problems

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 2170
replies 14
following 2

imrjbitch   +1y
Im having a problem with my wipers. They work but here's the thing. When I put it one click or two clicks, they go at like the second speed. Not quite high but constant. And it does this for the first two clicks. Now, off and third click cause them to turn off. And when they turn off, they don't stop after the cycle. They stop whenever they want during the cycle. So I have to guess when to turn them off to get them down and stopped. Anyone have any ideas? now i was told to see if its making the right connections when flipping the switch in different positions, but i looked and looked and i have no idea where to look or what im looking for when figuring that out.

now the switch itself will still make the click noise on the first click for the timer or whatever, but will not be intermittent. only constant. the second setting will jus the constant and the third is another off setting basically. now i jus did a swap and took a bunch of stuff out of the engine bay. including the fuses that i thought pertained to the 2.2 motor but im wondering if maybe there was a necessary fuse for the wipers under the hood? im completely lost.
scotch   +1y
Have you been working on the system? Swapped parts or anything like that? Was it working previously and just stopped? Just curious if you might have put new combination switch on from a different truck - perhaps one from a non-intermittant truck? Or, if it has never worked for you, maybe the previous owner did that. There are a number of parts that get pulled from junkyards but they don't alway fit.

Anyhow, it sounds like you have two different problems. The intermittent (or lack there of) sounds like a problem in the switch itself - assuming you have the correct combination and wiper switch installed. So I would pull the whole combination switch off and have a look. I have posted some info on the wiper switch in this thread (skip down to post #15.)

http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/showthread.php/11111-Purchased-a-B2600i!

As for the parking problem. If you or a precious owner has ever had the wiper motor disconnected from the wiper transmission, then you have to make sure they are timed properly when they are re-installed/reconnected - just like valve or ignition timing. So what I would check there is to pull the the wiper motor and then cycle the motor several times with the wipers disconnected to see if the shaft stops in the same position every time…. just mark one of the splines on the shaft. If it parks or stops in the same position each time, then I would re-install it. Here is where you need to make sure it is properly timed. With the motor having parked itself for the last time, you need to also position the wiper blades at the bottom of the windshield (where you want them in the park position.) Then reconnected the transmission to the motor. Now both the transmission AND the wipers are in the park position. If you don't have the wipers at the bottom of the windshield when reconnecting, then the system is going to get a little wonky as for parking.

Also, check to see if you have any slop between the two wiper blades. If so, then you probably have a worn out bushing between the two - very common problem. It also doesn't hurt to pull everything out and lube things up.
imrjbitch   +1y
hmmm. i will check it tomorrow but before i finished the swap, everything worked. however, it did take me sometime to finish and when i first tried the wipers they didnt work unless the windshield was wet, or if they were up and not on the windshield. if that helps you in any way. haha

i did try to replace the motor itself and was mistaken when the replacement had 5 prongs instead of jus three.

and the truck had intermittent working before the swap and stuff.

so as far as fuses goes, nothing is needed in this case under the hood except for the motor and wiring from the connectors right?

and i looked through your link and the picture with the two switches, the one that i have is the one with the clear plastic on the back
scotch   +1y
Sounds a little like the motor is weak…. OR, you might have a weak connections in the wiper switch or the contacts in the motor itself. So I would definitely clean it up as shown in the thread. Not positive, but I think you can pull the wiper switch off of the combination switch housing without removing it; just needs a short philips screwdriver. However, if that switch is dirty, you can bet the other switches are dirty. So I would be inclined to pull the whole combo switch housing and remove and clean all of the individual switch. ABE has a good thread on it here:

http://www.mazdabscene.com/wiki/70

Also, not sure how long the truck sat before/during the swap, but I have also seen the wiper shafts frozen up from sitting and corrosion. A little lubricant can free them up. I have some pictures but it will take me time to find them and upload them. But basically, if you pull the wiper transmission out, you'd want to lube any and all parts that move relative to each other.

You are correct that there is nothing else needed under the hood. Wiper get's it's power from the Ignition 2 circuit and then the "wiper" fuse in the dash.

I also remember there are some differences between wiper motors but I think it was only the hardware (output shaft diameter and mounting bolts.) I don't' recall running into your 3 connecter plug situation.
imrjbitch   +1y
i didnt see what he used to clean them with. would you jus wipe them out or get something to spray?
Post was last edited on Jan 07, 2016 05:01. This post has been edited 1 times.
scotch   +1y
You can just wipe them clean with a rag. If you really want it spotless, then you can get out some simple green or degreaser; but usually just wiping them clean and inspecting them is good enough.
imrjbitch   +1y
ok ill see if i can get it apart tomorrow and check it out! i will get back when i get that done! thanks for the help so far tho man!
imrjbitch   +1y
ok so i tried cleaning them as best i could and nothing really different to report. im thinking its the module itself at this point. a few clues to go by, it still sends a signal to the motor and the motor seems to be working fine with what its getting, the click for the timer on intermittent clicks once but never again unless i switch it to the second speed and back to the intermittent.
post photo
post photo
post photo
imrjbitch   +1y
i shouldve took a before pic. it was so bad before that i really thought this would make it better :(
scotch   +1y
I think you are right about the intermittent module being bad. But I also think you two other problems…. 1) your parking problem, and 2) the weakness problem.

I would try cleaning the points on the motor as well. Here are some pics I dug up. This first one isn't too bad.
post photo
post photo